UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and got my rats today! Yay! :D
I had to drive a little way for them but well worth it as I didn't want to get them from a pet shop
So may I present...
...Tufty (husky Rex dumbo)
And Flo (silver fawn dumbo)
Will try and upload photos as soon as I get a good snap and figure out photobucket (haven't done it yet)
They are sisters and Tufty a little more outgoing than flo who is a little nervous but took her put for a long hold and she is getting better :)
Both now getting comfy in their Sputnik :p
Just one thing they didn't eat or drink much today
Both the perfect weight so I think they are just settling in?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Aww I'm so happy for you.
Yeh sounds like they are adjusting to there new home/surroundings so don't worry.
Always have 2 water bottles for them though incase one stops working or gets knocked off. It's best to have one positioned high up and the other low to the ground level.

I bet theyll be out snacking tonight while your asleep! :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'll get another water bottle ASAP but I do have a dish of water incase they hadn't used gravity fed ones
I can't get photo bucket to work at the moment so can't put up any pics yet :(
They are 9 weeks I think or 11 weeks (I'm not sure) :)
Anyway they are great don't bite at all! Not that I expected them to :cool:
Tufty is yawning :D very cute and oh was that a bit of bruxing I just saw?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha
Do not fear I made a login today so that's a start
It would be so much easier if you could just upload them :mad:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come on wheres the pics????????????
patience is a virtue!!
I am getting them out in the bath (without any water!) tonight (to tame them apprently it helps a lot :))
will try to get some pics then I have some on a camera but can't find the right cable for it :(
they are still quite nervous which is annoying because I know they are dying to explore :D just need them a bit tamer before i can let them do so!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Get them on the bed instead as youll be able to get on there with them and relax while they run all over you :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I have done them in the bath twice now and they seem to really like it especially Flo seems to really help as she is much more shy than Tufty but now very relaxed
The only thing I'm worried about is that the both seem to be sneezing a bit (Flo more than Tufty) but I've listened there is no wheezing and
No discharge from the eyes or mouth and don't look sick at all
I think it is just allergies and the stress of moving (should I take them to the vet?) But know sure if they will come immune or something or should I get them something for it?
Now she's started wheezing a little bit (not all the time) in her sleep
I don't want to rush her to a vet when she's just settling in :(

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
A change in environment can definitely bring on sneezes. Try and listen to the sneezes - if they are dry and rapid then it's likely just an irritant (ie the new smells) if they sound wet and happen often but not necessarily in clusters then it's usually infection.
I always leave them a week to clear up any sneezes though because it usually is an environment change. The last thing you want to do is start medicating them when it isn't anything because they'll be resistant to the medication when the real time comes, which is why I always like to leave it a week and see how it goes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks I'll give it a week to clear up :)
It is definatley the first of the two sneezes only worried because they were wheezing a little but I'm sure it's fine as they seem to be very perky :)
Pictures coming soon I promise :D
Should I be worried that she's wheezing (but it's more kind of squeaking when she breaths?)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Should I be worried that Flo is wheezing (kinda like she has a blocked nose) not all the time just sometimes or should I leave it for a week as well (they seem to be sneezing less, which is good)
Also I am feeding them fresh fruit and veg every other day so today I gave them cucumber and apple two days ago I gave them banana and carrot if I keep doing this but mixing up food a bit will that be enough for supplements and stuff?
Also Tufty seems to be scoffing all the food should I be worried about Flo?
I promise I PROMISE pics soon haven't got round to it yet (plus my camera is really bad very blurry photos) but better than nothing :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.