Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Got my first 'breeding' request today.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by sequeena, Jul 10, 2009.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I was out walking the hound of hell AKA Sky, when I came across a man with 2 GSDs. A black/tan short haired female who was 8 years old and a white long haired male who was 2 years old.

They seemed quite friendly but neither were on leads so Sky tensed up straight away. She felt overwhelmed by them as she is used to being the bigger dog. Anyway, two minutes later and they were getting on like a house on fire.

The man complimented me on how striking Sky was and told me "If you ever want to breed in the future mine..."

My response: "OH GOD NO!"

Maybe should have thought before I said anything :rolleyes:

I told him very politely that there is no way I would be breeding Sky. She is purely a family pet and I have no intention to have any mini Sky's running around.

Has anyone encountered this? I can't believe he boldly asked me such a thing, he was clearly after a stud fee!

There is no way I'd put my girl through that. If I ever am in the position many years down the line where I am able to breed then yes, I would consider it but I would not do it purely for the money!

I do feel quite flattered that I was asked though.

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yes and it got worse when I got a goldendoodle *sigh*. Mine are all mutts admittedly adorable mutts but neutered/spayed and I have no intention of ever breeding them. People do ask though and I'm not always so polite.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I had a mind to tell him where to go, but he was a very big man with two very big dogs :eek:

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Well yes under those circumstances I would try to be very polite and nice its just really hard.

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have had that with my Springer boy! So far 4 people i know want to breed their bitches with him. And there has been several when we have been out and about!! He is a rescue, albiet privately, so he is still 'intact' but i don't know much about his past only enough, i don't have his papers, (nor do i wish to have them!) he is also not a good 'specimen' for the breed standard (although he is to me!) etc etc oh and if i saw his puppies....one for sure would be back home with me ;)

Seriously though, i wouldn't breed my boy, although there is more people interested in the puppies from the 4 bitches then there will be puppies for sure!! But i wouldn't do it. I don't feel it right at this time. I don't feel ready, i know i have the boy, but the males owner needs to be prepared for everything. I do hope in years to come i might be able to breed dogs but i would buy the best breeding bitches/dogs and go from there!

Like you my dog is simply a family member. Nothing more nothing less. It is flattering though isn't it!!! xx

6. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

I get it all the time with our rottie.:rolleyes:

People say that their mates' rottie would be an ideal stud for us, and think of the money we'd make.

I let them ramble on for a bit then tell them to 'F' off,:D as I wouldn't put out to stud with any dog that they mention..i.e...Excellent guard dog...would rip this dog or that dog to shreads..is really bulky if you know what i mean..ie steroids !!!

Sadly people still do this to their dogs !! And its mostly the neds who thinks its really cool to have a very large muscluar dog !!! When they are only about 9-10stone themselves ! :eek:ut::eek:ut:

I guess some people might be genuine, but others just see £ signs

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Some people are beyond a joke!!! How do they even know the lines will match!!!
    Any one that brings up breeding on a walk to a stranger is not in it for the right reason!!:mad:

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Mine isn't probably a good specimen for the standard either lol Haven't got any papers and couldn't care less :D

I don't think I'm the breeding type to be honest, I would get way too attached and keep every single pup!

I can't believe people pump steroids into their dogs. Idiocy at its best!!

9. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

OFF TOPIC !!

As for the steroids..

It started with the dog-fighting people, who built their dogs up.

And the idiot who asked me about breeding our rottie with his, said thats what they used to beef him up abit !!

I asked how old the dog was, and what he was being feed. His answer...was he's 13months old, and he eats...'bakers / pedigree chum / chappie / pal...he'll eat anything mate !!!'

So I asked about why the need for steroids for a young dog...his answer ' So that people say he's a big un ' !!!!! :eek:ut::eek:ut:
    I told him that the heart would probablt fail before the dog reaches 5yrs old..And he said..He'll get another one as his mate breeds them !!1 :confused:

I've not seen him for a few months round my way, as his uncle moved from the area.

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

That's digsusting! No proper nutrition and pumped full of drugs - WHAT A LIFE!!

11. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

it's obviously being forced to follow in it's owners footsteps :nonod:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice