Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Got any tips for my first show?

Discussion in 'Cats Shows and Events' started by Smuge, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

To highlight your cats entries in the catalogue so they're easy to find when you're looking for class numbers on the results board :)

Smuge likes this.
  2. Vantuuz

Vantuuz PetForums Member

I usually type in notes of my phone the class numbers I have entered. I find it easier than flip catalog for this reason.
    Catalog and highlighter I use to “mark” the cats I do like on the day :)

Smuge likes this.
  3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

During the morning the catalogue can be invaluable for passing some of the time. It can seem endless. I expect you will end up hanging round the awards board like most people do. You can turn the corner of the page down so you can find it easily but you must have something to write with unless you have a very good memory.

Smuge likes this.
  4. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

When is your first show @Smuge? If it's in the warmer months have you got enough fans for the pens?

5. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Its on the 10th of March

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Ahh no need for fans then, shouldn't be too warm

7. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

I have been to all the local shows, I don't ever remember any feeling particularly warm, doubt that will be an issue. 2 of them are in the same leisure centre in Ballyclare and the big Siamese one is in the huge Aurora complex in Bangor. Both are very nice and modern venues.

My biggest concern is being bored senseless lol I have enjoyed all of the shows that I have attended, but that was for an hour or two. I imagine that being there for the full show could feel like a rather long day.

I hope my 3 all fairly close together, though as Ash is technically a different breed and Tali and Garfield are in very different categories (in America Tali would also be counted as an entirely different breed than Garfield) I suppose that isn't likely

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

If I recall rightly the NI shows are in the colder months of the year? For shows during the height of the summer, exhibitors are strongly advised to bring fans for cats as it is absolutely sweltering. The last two years at the Maine Coon Cat Club show the hall as been emptied in a bid to cool the room down.

As they're close to Belfast you could spend the morning there and then go back to the hall? You will be bored, I think it can be part and parcel of showing as it's such a long day

9. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

The Erin show (which as far as I could tell was easily the smallest of the 3) is in September, the Siamese (which was fab last year, I went even though I pulled Tali out) is in November.

Its about half an hour from Belfast. We will probably go for lunch etc but I don't want to leave any of them unattended for long at their first show, if they don't take to it I will take them home. I'm happy to enter shows, but I wont do it if they hate it.

10. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

You will almost certainly need fans for the Erin show, but plenty of time to sort that out :)

If they dislike showing, the judge will give them a Could Not Handle (CNH) and they won't be taken out the pen by any judge or steward thereafter, so don't worry about them being taken in and out if they're showing obvious signs of stress, but I do understand your not wanting to leave them for very long. Bring a book :D

11. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

The bored senseless exhibitors are the reason we take our welfare table to shows. I advise you to walk round and try to spend some money on the rescue stalls. Then you may still feel bored but virtuous at the same time.

12. Peter Monk

Peter Monk PetForums Newbie

Why not enter Fantastica 2018, we love Rag Dolls, Bengals, Norwegian Forest, Main Coons, Savanah's, Toygers, Spinx, Siamese, Persians, Turkish Vans, Lyko, Orientals, Exotics, in fact we love all cats

13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

I've shown at a TICA show, it was worse for boredom than GCCF as I had to sit with my cat to make sure he was taken up at the right time.

14. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Thank you for your kind offer. But this is 300 or so miles further away than I had in mind and the date clashes with the GCCF show.

#34 Smuge, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    OrientalSlave likes this.
  15. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Best of luck tomorrow @Smuge

ewelsh likes this.
  16. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Thank you :)

17. Vantuuz

Vantuuz PetForums Member

@Smuge Can’t wait to hear how your lads did at the show :)

Rufus15 likes this.
  18. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Pics pleeeeease!

Vantuuz likes this.
  19. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Rufus15 likes this.
  20. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Huge congratulations! Sorry to see you experienced some of the nasty side, don't let it put you off. The cat fancy has some wonderful people in it.

ewelsh likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice