Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

got 4 new rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by millianaire, May 4, 2010.

1. millianaire

millianaire PetForums Member

Hi,
    how can you tell if a rabbit is blind? the 4 new rabbits i have 2 girls an two boys the mum of the daughter has blue eyes which obviously gave the daughter blue eyes but when i got her home i put her on the carpet and all she does is go in circles, the youngest male has does the same thing like they are have some sort of fit running in circles and the young male looks like got a tilted head..... the two older rabbits seem fine.
    not sure could this be an infection or a inhertided genetic defunction.
    any thoughts can you let me know... i will take them to pdsa but just want some ideas to what it could be.

xxx

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I would rush them all to the vets asap it could be a very nasty worm that can cause heads to tilt and death within 24 hours

3. millianaire

could that be contagious?

4. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I'm afriad so- its passed from one rabbit to another by spores that live in the urine and its passed from mother to babies if the mother has it.

If one of them has a tilted head then it sounds like it could be this parasite emzy has mentioned. You will need to treat them all for it

5. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Oh god! I hope they are alright!

6. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I would say get them check by a vet asap, it really does sound like they have ec, but it could also be an ear infection so yeah I'd get them checked over just to be on the safe side :)

7. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Hope they're ok. Please let us know how they are. x

8. millianaire

update

my male has got worse
    [​IMG]

my ill female

[​IMG]

the mother of the female

[​IMG]

the father of the ill male

[​IMG]

9. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Have you been to the vets?

10. millianaire

my vet cant see them until tomorrow at 4.30 he said just keep them seperate and plenty of water and food and check them every hour, if they get any worse to phone him for an emergency appointment. i think my male has started sneezing :( not a good sign

11. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

I would take the emergency appointment tbh. If they are getting worse then thats not good.

12. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

is your vet an exotics vet? I'd take them to another one...

13. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

just spent aaaaaaages rading up on it.. sneezing is not covered in the symptoms of EC (doesn't mean that it isn't, however I can't find anywhere that says it is) have your buns had jabs at all? and are your young males eyes usually pink around the lid?

14. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

wood shaving are also not good for rabbits, the tree sap contain poisons which can cause liver failing, and the dust can cause respiratory and eye problems.

also i cant see any hay in your pictures only straw, rabbits need hay as its high in fiber their diet should be 90% hay, straw on the other hand can clog rabbits.

what area are you living in? maybe someone on here can recommend a good rabbit vet.

15. millianaire

HI thanks for all your replies,

i just took him to an emergency vet, they have had to keep him in because they are not sure whether its a viral infection or something he is born with, the sneezing is infecting my other bunnies no matter what it i.e snuffles
    i just dont know what to do but i think i have to think of my other buns before this one as i only got him yesterday.
    i hated leaving him at the vets but they need to monitor his condition over night

not fair why do people let it get that bad then sell the rabbit why couldnt they just look after him then he could enjoy the garden with the rest of mind now he's cooped up in a cage without his dad, who also might have to go in and get checked.

16. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

aww poor thing :( where did you get him from?
    Do you think it could be pasteurella?

17. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Doesnt sound good. Have they had their injections? I hope they find whats wrong. It could be the straw and shavings like emzybabe said. How many rabbits have you got? and how long have you had them for?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice