Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gooey Eyes!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mollyismyworld, Jun 27, 2009.

1. mollyismyworld

Hi all,

we noticed last night that Molly was 'winking' at us a bit....I checked her eyes and one was a bit 'crusty'...it was a greenish colour.

So we took her to the vet today and they said she had a bit of conjunctivitus.

It didn't look too bad, but the vet said her other eye ( not the greenish one) was puffy.

She gave us some cream to put in twice a day.

I wouldn't have been uneccesarily bothered, except Molly had the same issue last November.

She went to the groomer's this week, and it happened after a grooming session last time.

I'm just wondering, is the groomer possibly using un-sterilised utensils? Or could it be shampoo?

And, is it always going to be recurring??

Thanks. xx :)

2. mollyismyworld

I've no idea why I accidently put this in General chat! Sorry!

I don't want to start another thread so if a Mod is about, pls can u re-direct this??
    Thanks. xx :)

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

hi molly dante had conjunctivitus (sp). He hasn't got it anymore though..not sure if it'll be recurring but i'd keep a check on him anyway.

4. mollyismyworld

Thanks for replying....I'm hoping it's not a recurring thing as I know it can be in humans.

This is the 2nd time and I clean her eyes twice a day anyway, so wondered if it is possible the groomer is doing something that provokes it?

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Hm....i don't think so......ask your vet next time..maybe shes picked up an allergy causing it or something.

6. Opheliac

Opheliac PetForums Member

With humans it can be caused by something as simple as an eyelash, could it be her hair somehow gets in her eye and then it gets infected? :confused:

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

7. mollyismyworld

Thanks I appreciate the replies.

The vet did say it's possible she has got something in her eye, and I have to keep a check to make sure there are no foreign growths etc.

I was more worried that it has happened after her being at the groomer's to be honest.

I don't want to think I am subjecting her to any bacteria.

8. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

if you bathe her eyes in salt water that will help too if it happens again. I dont know are eye problems common in westies?

9. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Could be a little bit of shampoo I always make sure I wash the head really well, could also be some hair in her eyes again when I trim the head I cover the eyes as best I can.

Little tip as well as the drops some used cold tea bags work wonders

DKDREAM likes this.
  10. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Woody used to get all the green guncky stuff in his eyes - but it wasn't conjunctivitis (sp) it was some sort of infection, but the vet told us to put Viscotears in his eyes and that helped although the eye problems were always there after that.....i think its a common prob in Cocker Spaniels.....But don't use that unless the vet has told you to, i'd hate to give the wrong advise

11. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I know when i did a grooming course as part of my national diploma the person said to wipe the eyes with some cotton wool with some KY jelly on. she said it helps prevent soap going in eyes or anything. what do you think about this Tashi

12. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I dont as sometimes that can irritate the eyes as well - got to be really careful around the eye area - I rinse the head and eyes a lot

13. mollyismyworld

Much appreciated to u all....

I'm guessing i could be right in thinking the groomer has been the root of it maybe?

I love the groomer I have...such a lovely lady, but how do I say to her I think she could be irritating Molly's eyes without offending?

Thanks again! :)

14. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

thanks for that tip. I dont use it on blaze but rinse him well. I use an old sponge its grate to soap them up with

15. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Just explain to her that the last twice Molly has been she has had an irritation of the eyes and could she please try to see that the shampoo doesnt go into her eyes or that she uses a really mild shampoo for her head Johnsons Baby is what a lot of peeps use and as soon as you get her home wipe her eyes with cold tea bags

16. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

Conjunctivitis is the most common eye problem in dogs. Its the corner of the eye (the conjunctiva) which gets irritated from alergies usually due to pollen, grasses.
    As you are in the middle of treating her i wouldnt worry because the only risk is it spreading to her other eye.
    Unfortunately even though it is recurring, there is only a very low risk of permanent damage. Conjunctivitis is also contagious, so if you have other pets in the home they may also be at risk for developing conjunctivitis.
    After a course of her antiobiotivs, Molly will be fine :)

Chloe x

17. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

That sounds like good advice.

If the groomer gets uppity about it, i'd take your dog elsewhere! Only a good groomer won't mind you requesting things.

18. mollyismyworld

I very much appreciate all the advice from everyone, thank you.

I will speak to the groomer ( Molly goes there every 8 wks) and will maybe take my own Johnson's and ask her to use that on Molly's head.

I have just put more drops in Molly's eyes as she was looking a little dispositioned with her eyes.

I feel better that it isn't a possible permenant problem.

Thank you all again. Keeley. :)

Sorry, forgot to say thanks tash...will def try the cold tea bags! xx

19. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Molly i know someone who westie had recurring conjunctivitis & the dog was diagnosed with dry eye, if she keeps getting it the vet might do a tear test to make sure shes producing enough tears x

20. mollyismyworld

Thanks Noush...will keep with the drops and prob ask the vet if he knows about the symptom u mentioned....I always am very appreciative to hear of all possibilities so I can deterr them.

Many thanks.

Keeley. xx ( And Molly!) xx :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice