Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

goodness don't puppies play rough??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gopher, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

Bingo has his sister here (visiting) for the day, they haven't seen each other since they both moved to their new homes just over 2 months ago, I thought they'd LOVE seeing each other but the last 2 hours they've just been rolling rounf growling and snapping at each other, is this normal "play?" if so it's very rough :eek:

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Pups do bark,nip,chase and even mount each other when playing in the litter.
    usually if one nips too hard or goes over the top, one yelps then the other should back off if they dont mum usually steps in and disciplines the offending pup. Thats how they learn bite inhibition and just how far to go.
    It can get really rough. I shouldnt worry too much, if they still both look like they are enjoying it. If one looks like they have had enough at any point though and the other wont quit, then personally I would just give them both a time out to calm and wind down. Young pups can get to a point where they do get so hyped up and over excited they cant/dont know when to quit
    so just keep an eye on the situation.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

You'd think my dogs were trying to kill each other given how rough they play at times :eek:

Dogs (especially pups) will let one another know if the play is getting a bit much ;)

4. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

I have had my new pup nearly a week now and cant collect my second one until 7th next month so in the meantime I play with her as much as possible.
    I have discovered how rough she can be and her teeth are sharp as a razor.
    She can get hold of my finger and hold on like there is no tomorrow.
    I have discovered that if I give a yelp she lets go right away then wants to lick my finger bless her.
    DSC_1481.jpg

5. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

My son has Poppy's litter sister (Lottie) so they used to have regular play times to start with as we live very close. Their play has always been excitable, rough and growly and even now at 10 months is still the same. Son has an older dog, labradoodle, and she plays but there's no growly noises when playing with her. Poppy plays with lots of other dogs on the beach, big and small, and doesn't do the growly noises with them.

Poppy had her season at 7 months, Lottie is in season now. Took Poppy round a couple of nights ago and they did play but the growling was far more than ever before and the humping from both of them was incessant. Son was supposed to be Poppy-sitting for us for three hours the next day while we were out but because of how they behaved the night before I called it off, three hours of that behaviour would have driven a saint round the bend and our son is not the most patient of people and he would rather watch the TV than watch the dogs!

Lottie will be spayed in 3 months time and I'm hoping the growly stuff will then be a thing of the past. Not sure if it's because they know they are sisters and arguing about who is the more dominant - shruggy shoulders - or what. Good job I didn't want to take on two litter mates, I'd have gone round the bend by now :lol:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice