Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good wee cleaners?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rainbowshoes, May 11, 2010.

1. rainbowshoes

rainbowshoes PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone :)
    I'm hopefully adopting a rescue greyhound soon ( if Fridays home visit goes well!)
    I've read in a few places that a lot of rescue dogs wee in the house when they first get there. Can anyone recommend a good cleaner please?

Thanks
    Gill :)

2. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I found Vax carpet cleaner good for when I have pups over that do have the occasional accident. As long as you take her out as soon as she gets home, and reward, she should get the hang of it pretty quickly. A lot of greys are clean in their kennel anyway :)

We were told when we adopted Maddy that she wasn't housetrained, but never had an accident. We waited outside with her until she went, and she never did anything inside :)

Best of luck, I'm so happy you are adopting a grey, you won't regret it :D

3. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

The simple solutions spray is good, sold at P@H although bio-washing powder & water mix in a spray bottle/mop bucket is also supposed to get rid of odours well. Not particulary green but nappys are great for quickly mopping up a puddle.

We just followed advice of taking them out on lead very regularly to begin with and praising anytime the went to the loo and gradually extended the time over a few days. There were a some accidents but often it was our fault as we'd missed the signs. Throp picked up house training very quickly and only had a few accidents, but hector had some separation anxiety and took a bit longer to be clean while unsupervised. HappySaz is correct many greys are clean and they are often turned out regularly during the day to go to the loo. Its good that your prepared for the worst though.

#3 2Hounds, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Good luck for Friday

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Good luck for friday

White vinegar is good for getting rid of wee smells. It must be white though as brown vinegar will leave stains.

6. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Good luck for Friday. I use simple solution which i find brilliant. I even put some in the washing machine in the rinse tray for the vet bed by the door incase they have bought wee in on their feet also old Kez will wee by the door at night if i dont hear her moving around.

7. rainbowshoes

rainbowshoes PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone il let you know how Friday goes! Hoping it will be fine though as we've just built a new 6ft fence to ensure our garden is secure. I wish I knew what they look for so I can be sure we will pass!
    Thanks for the cleaner advice and we will definately be taking him out often to toilet but it never hurts to be prepared :)
    thankyou!! :D

8. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Its a good attitude to have and then if there are any accidents you have all you need to clean up and its no bother :)

Our homecheck was rather informal, the lady just wandered through the living and into the kitchen and looked out of the window at the garden as it was raining heavily. Then we just had a general chat, which was more us checking a few things than her asking us questions. I don't know why we stressed so much about it really. They are all done different but generally they are just wanting to check the home is safe for a dog to live in and that you've thought about the commitment of ownership and its also an opportunity for you to ask any questions.

9. dillansmummy

dillansmummy PetForums Junior

I use Bio washing powder (asda smart price is Bio about 75p for 12 wash pack or there is a larger box ;)) for Honey's accidents and it works well. I've mixed some with hot water and have this ready in a bottle with a cloth and some kitchen towel incase of accidents.
    p.s, she did a little wee on the kitchen floor last night but I didn't spot it till this morning and where I'd used bio powder it brought the floor tiles up a treat, so I'm gonna use this instead of floor cleaner now!!!

10. lianne86

lianne86 PetForums Member

the simple solutions range is usually really good for permenatly getting rid of smells and stains..i use the powder version.....also 1000 moose(with brush attached) does the trick in my house for a quick fix...

thankfully ive had no accidents for a while.. weve got another pup on the way so im guessing its all going to have to come out the cleaning cuboard again!....yep i think ive just jinxed myself :lol:

11. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Silly question but is an anti-bacterial spray such as Dettol fine to use if mopping up of laminate flooring and tiles.

Rupert is in the kitchen for 4 hours a day and VERY rarely goes to the toilet which is brilliant, and when he does its on newspaper. Occasionally we have the odd accident, but that's to be expected as he's only 8 weeks. I just use a dettol spray to clean up with as my house is laminate throug out and tiled in the kitchen.

Will this get rid of the germs/smell or should I really be using something else.

I've got NO idea, first puppy, first dog ever!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice