Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good walks in or near Bristol?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Martyn, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Martyn

Martyn PetForums Junior

Hi,
    I might be moving to Bristol because of work in the future. Anyone live there now and can tell me if there are any good dog friendly parks in or nearby?

My 2 year old Border Terrier, Eddie, gets at least a daily 3 mile walk off the lead around a country park at present with loads of other dogs. He was in a group of 10 a couple nights ago having a great time. So the thought of him becoming a city dog really doesn't sit well. Would really hate the scenario of him only walking on pavements!

Thanks.

2. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

I'm not far away in Weston, depends hugely on the area; do you have any idea where you'll be based?

3. Martyn

Martyn PetForums Junior

Well, will be working around Filton and would want to be near work because of the traffic problems.

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Hmm, we've walked Holls around the centre and castle park. However we've only been visiting relatives... Will be living in Gloucester from Sept, and in Bristol most weekends to take my aunt's dog out for her :)

5. kimdelyse

I don't know where you are now, but the West Country is generally a very dog friendly place; lots of green spaces and you're never too far from the beach! Filton is about 30 mins from me (I live at the beach). Unless you are looking at somewhere like Temple Meads, you should be fine.

6. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

StepD lives in Horfield (partner works in Filton - Rolls Royce) and when we visit we drive to Blaise Castle.
    It's not that far away and is brilliant - big open grassy spaces plus woods and lots of space.

If you Google it you should find some pictures

7. Martyn

Martyn PetForums Junior

I'm in South Somerset now, have been since birth. So yes, I know what it's like around here, hence why I don't really want to become a city deweller at 34! :cryin:

If I do move up there then I want to live as close to work as possible as it's just myself and the dog, so popping home over lunch would be a must.

Blaise Castle sounds exacltly what I was after. Thanks.

8. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

9. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

I've just been near Bristol the other week!

Southwick Country Park in Trowbridge, Wiltshire. About 30 minutes from Bristol, lots of dogs and a lovely walk with a river.

There's also Cheddar Caves and Gorge in Somerset which is dog friendly, go exploring in all the caves

10. kimdelyse

South Somerset is lovely so I completely understand your reservations. But don't rule us "northerners" out! ;) As I said unless you are looking at the real centre of Bristol like Temple Meads or Broadmead, it can barely be described as a city compared to others around the country! It's still very rural, agricultural with plenty of lovely dog friendly markets to visit - the tobacco factory market in particular is excellent - they have a website, but their facebook page holds far more info.

There are beaches at Weston, where I am and Clevedon. Look for Sand Bay in Weston if you fancy a day at the beach, it's basicly a dog beach with woods at one end and "the point" at the other (huge expanse of grass covered cliffs with hidden beaches and coves).

As as I always say on other threads, I'm horrified by some of the abuse some people get, it just doesn't exist here. I don't know why but it jus doesn't seem to occure to people to be rude!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice