Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good vibes for Charlie

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Took the little man to the vets yesterday as he wasn't eating and was sitting huddled in his hutch not wanting to come out, which is unlike him. As I expected it turned out to be his teeth again and he had to have them filed, all well and good they done it there and then with me monitoring his anaesthetic even though it was my day off. Got him home and he was still very sleepy so kept him indoors for a couple of hours until he was fully awake and moving around. Tried giving him some food as he hadn't eaten since monday but he refused it and even turned away from his favourite treat, I let him be as it was probably the anaesthetic still affecting him and he always sulks after a trip to the vet.

Well today he still wasn't eating and had half chewed food coming out of his mouth so he was trying to eat but seemed he couldn't. Took him straight back to the vets on another of my days off. The vet had a good look in his mouth and noticed he now has an infection that they hadn't seen yesterday. I've been given metacam, science recovery and baytril to give him at home and take him back friday to be checked. Poor little boy he's been through so much with his teeth.

Thing is now I'm really worrying because this is what happened with my Sophie before she died, she had an infection in her jaw that wouldn't go away with any amount of antibiotic. I was syringe feeding her for a month before I finally made the tough decision to have her put to sleep. I'm dreading this happening again as Charlie is so young compared to Sophie.

Send good vibes to Charlie so he gets better soon.

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Loads of positive thoughts and healing vibes on their way to you and Charlie. Prehaps his mouth is just a little sore from the infection and once the antibiotics have had a go at it things will get back to normal. xxx

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

aw poor little guy must be starving, get well soon charlie!!

4. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Still not eating or cleaning himself. Had to syringe feed him again this morning so he had something in his system. Back to the vets tomorrow to see whats happening in his mouth again.

5. frags

frags PetForums VIP

oh no poor charlie, i do hope the infection clears quickly and he makes a full recovery.

6. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Poor Charlie sending him lots of vibes, poor little babe, hope he gets better soon xx

7. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Please make sure if you are giving him antibiotics that you also get a probiotic to counteract the effects.Fibreplex is good and most buns love the taste as it is carrot flavour.
    Sadly infections in the jaw are hard to clear but don't give up hope just yet.
    Fingers crossed he will pick up now xx

8. umber

umber PetForums VIP

How is he doing now? Sending lots of good good good vibes for him! x

9. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

I hope he's ok, sending good vibes to Charlie.
    Fingers crossed for you and Charlie.

10. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed for Charlie, keep us updated wont you

*Heidi*

11. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Hey Kammie how is Charlie doing?

12. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I've been in bed with flu since Thursday so my boyfriends been helping a lot to look after Charlie. He's been bringing him to my bed for his feeds since he can't manage to do it on his own and taking Charlie to the vets for me. His last visit to the vets was Friday, they gave him another antibiotic injection and prepared one for me at home to give him Sunday (yesterday). Said if he still isn't eating properly take him back again Tuesday. Well its Monday now and he still isn't managing to eat, it seems strange though as he's trying but just can't seem to manage. He'll take a bit of food in his mouth and move it around a bit trying to chew but spits it out all soggy. Still refusing treats as well so theres still something serious going on and I can't keep him alive on syringe food forever. We just need to find out whats going on with him.

Sorry for the delayed update on him I'm still pretty sick myself in bed on the boyfriends laptop. Its been a huge strain on me using every ounce of energy to look after my boy whilst I have flu and barely able to look after myself but i'm managing.

13. frags

frags PetForums VIP

have you tried to give him his food a bit mushy? maybe you could soak it in water?

hope your both feeling better soon. x

14. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Good luck little guy. x x

15. Lemoney.Ellie

Lemoney.Ellie PetForums Newbie

much good vibes for you and charlie xxxxxx

16. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Yes I think another member on here might be hazyreality has to feed one of her buns bran mash as her bun has no teeth maybe ask her about it/.

Hope the little guy recovers x

17. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Not looking good for Charlie at the moment. Went outside to check on him yesterday afternoon to find him grinding his teeth quite loudly and struggling to breathe. I rushed him straight to the vets and they took him off to put him in an oxygen tent. After listening to his chest and giving him vetergesic to help the pain they told me the infection in his gum has spread to his lungs and it doesn't look good for him now its got to this stage. Spent all yesterday worrying about him because he had to stay at the vets and he's still there now. Need to phone them at 1 to see how he's doing. Already spoken to them this morning and they said he's doing better, they were syringe feeding him as I phoned.

18. frags

frags PetForums VIP

oh hun i hope he pulls through.

comon charlie fight it little fella x

19. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

aww poor boy must be struggling, get better Charlie!!!!!

20. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

C'mon Charlie boy you can do it for your mummy!!

Hope he pulls through, sending him lots of love and vibes xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice