Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good things about beagles........

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jety, May 10, 2010.

1. jety

jety PetForums Newbie

Hi, as im new on here ive just been reading some of the posts about beagles and it all seems to be negative, hasnt anyone got something good things to say about beagles!!! Pleeeeaase:confused:

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Apparently not:)

3. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

my step brother had a beagle... she was a fantastic dog! She was really good natured and very gentle with my niece. He had to find her a new home though because he got a new job and worked very long hours and could no longer care for her properly!

4. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Awww, well I have a beagle cross and I find she is very affectionate! Her recall is really good for a beagle! I get the feeling that they can be very fun and love playing! My Missy doesnt actually know how to play atm, but we are working on it! Hope some of the Beagle owners will come and give you some other good points!

5. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Hang on one second Jety, just let me find my soapbox!

I hate hate hate hate hate how pretty much every single person who meets me and our gorgeous 14wk old beagle pup begins the conversation with: 'ooh a beagle, you're going to have trouble with him....' - this is of course generally while our boy is sitting still good as gold whilst their monster of a dog is trying to escape across the road to eat a small child.

We did a ton of research before getting him and I have to say, i got seriously worried at one stage because of all the negative reactions people have to beagles however I am so glad we stuck with our decision because he is such a joy to have and I wouldn't swap him for anything.

So best things about our boy are:

- he just loves people and other dogs, is always really friendly and interested in saying hello but never too ott with it

- he is incredibly chilled out and happy and confident and even when we come across really scary things (a huge cement mixer yesterday) he just tucks in closer to me and looks at them interestedly

- he loves to play and we're teaching him the 'find me game' - although for a supposedly scent hound, he is a bit rubbish at it at the moment!

- his favourite thing is to snuggle up on my lap and have a snooze. His second favourite thing is to wait for daddy to fall asleep on the sofa and then suck on his shoe laces.

- he really is such a handsome dog, he started off black and white and is growing his tan in every day and he just looks more and more gorgeous

- from the first night he goes to sleep in his crate happily

- we had him pretty much toilet trained within a few days, he caught on really quickly and is now pretty trustworthy (unless its raining, in which case he has to be chivvied outside as he doesn't like the rain!)

- he only ever barks when his carrot gets stuck under the sofa, and his little barky howl is so sweet!

- we were told that they often suffer from separation anxiety. I work from home and he often goes to work with my OH but whenever we leave him in his crate with a kong, he will settle down and be fine for a couple of hours, no crying or anything.

- We decided to bite the bullet with the whole recall thing and started walking him off lead a week ago in safe places. We do a lot of running away and hiding from him and being v v v exciting and he's getting pretty good at staying with us and keeping an eye on us. We're working on whistle recall at the moment but still only in the house, not out on walks yet.

I do think we were lucky as we got him from a very good breeder so he'd already had tons of socialization which helped with him being so confident and friendly but honestly, I have never regretted for a second choosing a beagle. I do think you get back what you put in and although they might not be the easiest dogs around, there are plenty that are much more difficult and I just love him to bits.

Good luck!!

B

Attached Files:

sarybeagle likes this.
  6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I can't see why people should be negative about them all breeds have their bad points. Except dobes of course

7. jety

jety PetForums Newbie

Hooray some positive and how cute is he!!!!

8. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

LOL!

And my X's! :thumbup:

9. Arlani

Arlani PetForums Junior

I have a Beagle myself but I find that his negative sides are also what makes him charming! He CAN be a little devil, but afterwards it's always fun to tell about the things he does and people always laugh :D
    But he has lots of good sides. He's always so happy and energetic, and really loving, he would never attack someone or bite or anything.. And when we leave and come back a while later (even when it's a few hours) he's always soo happy, like he's thankful that we didn't leave him lol!
    And he's also very photogenic;)

[​IMG]

#9 Arlani, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    sarybeagle likes this.
  10. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Thanks Jety!

Lol at Arlani, our boy can be a little sod sometimes too - he's getting quite stubborn, if he thinks it's too soon to finish a walk he will just sit down and refuse to move. But with a bit of sausage-related bribery he'll start going again!

Beagles also do the best 'how can you be cross with me, I'm just a tiny sweet little puppy' face so it is hard to be annoyed for long, however naughty they've been!

One bad thing is if we are walking somewhere new, it can take us ages to get anywhere as everyone wants to stop and say hello to him!

Attached Files:

11. Arlani

Arlani PetForums Junior

Yeees lol, you can't stay mad at that face!!
    Lol mine does the same, when I'm walking him and I want to go somewhere he doen'st, he will resist with all his power! Also when another dog is walking behind us, he wants to stop and look at it every second so I always have to wait until he passes us:p

#11 Arlani, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  12. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Beagle I could of written an identical post about my Bella.

She is SUCH a loveable character and so so soppy and affectionate. Even when being a little monkey you cant not laugh as her expression and mannerisms are hysterical-she nicked a flower pot off me yesterday whilst I was doing my baskets but I couldnt not be cross as watching her run around with a pot on her muzzle and just these 2 huge brown eyes and ears flapping in the wind how could I? :lol:

Im sick to death of every dog owner we meet starting the convo of "ooo a beagle you must be mad/crazy/glutten for punishment they are untrainable!!" Like B says my pup is sat obediently at my foot whilst your dog is in her face/trying to chase the cat on the wall/jump up at me. Bella loves nothing more than seeing someone approach as she knows if she sits down she will get fussed over for hours if she had her way.

Toilet training, crate training, training has been really quick and easy. Shes slept through from 10 weeks old, been toilet trained 100% since 4 months indoors. She is happy to stay in her cage 4 hours whilst im at work and when I return she gives a yawn and rolls back over as if Ive disturbed her sleep lol.
    She doesnt howl unless something goes out of reach and if you ignore her she will come over and put her head in your lap and mumble and if you keep ignoring her she will start pawing at your leg and do the funniest howl.

She is a FAB little dog and Ive not had 1 bad day with her in the 6 months Ive had her. She is great with our cats and rabbit. Totally adores my son and is great off lead. I could go on all day lol.

Also totally agree with the photogenic statement too. As soon as the camera comes out she poses away LOL!!

With her best friend in the whole world
    [​IMG]

Typical "what do you mean who ate the teddy wasnt me?!!" pose
    [​IMG]

Video of her playing with my son YouTube - Beagles don't play football!

13. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

14. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Sarybeagle, she is so gorgeous!! What a beautiful girl!

I do owe you a massive thank you as well, I think it was you that gave me the advice about using a rawhide chew to get through the 'puppy-wall-of-death' hour in the evening? Well I bought a huge bone shaped rawhide chew, it works a treat and he's now much easier to live with between 8.30 and 10pm! He's just started teething now and it's really a godsend - thanks for your advice!

All the anti-beagle comments really bothered me at first and tbh it still winds me up a treat, I come home and have a rant at the OH! It's just so unfair that they get such bad press, my friend has a proper mean looking staffy x (sweet dog but just looks evil) and she even said that people say worse stuff to us about our pup than they do to her!

Is anyone doing clicker training with their beagles? I'm tempted to give it a try but not sure if introducing it now would just confuse things as we've been doing 5 weeks of normal training on the basics (although he still pretends he doesn't know how to lie down when the kitchen floor is cold in the mornings!)

15. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

I am so surprised to see that beagle owners get this, I have no personal experience of hearing peope say bad things about them, the only ones I have ever met have been so so cute!! There was a Painter in our area who took his everywhere with him, used to see them in the van all the time and that dog was so well behaved.

I can sympathise though, we have a Dalmatian puppy and we have only had a couple of people say anything positive, we have had people saying he will become an agressive dog, that they are grumpy and unpredictable and will snap for no reason, that you cant train them and they never get tired. So far Buster is none of these things and is a gem but I know exactly how it feels to be told all that sort of thing. As a new owner of a breed it can be quite disheartning and frightening too.

I just wanted to say though that all the pics here are TOO CUTE they all are total beauties :thumbup:

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I dont have beagles but have springers and all the comments i heard about beagles were negative and i did feel for the owners because having springers ive heard all the comments before so i started a thread on i think the heading was something like "some positive comments on beagles" see if you can find it on here there are some lovely comments and success stories.

17. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

You're very welcome :) I've not done clicker training purely because I'm terrible for losing things-I bought a clicker and misplaced it!! But bella picks things up so quick it's me that holds her back. Last weekend we taught her to roll over in 10 mins and now if I get her sausage treats out she flings herself down rolls over wagging her tail and howls :D too clever methinks!!

Totally agree that there are far far worse dogs and puppys out there yet beagles get such bad press.

I must admit I'm getting beagle broody just looking at your pics :) seems ages ago bella was that small lol!

Another pro- she's so confident and brave the only thing that fazes her is the bin men. In the vets she is so good and they all love her ;)

18. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Agreed about them being too clever! Its so funy to watch the difference between Chazz and Missy. If I am doing training, Missy has learnt to sit nicely where as Chazz is jumping around all excited! Missy has also learnt lay down and will do it instantly......Chazz......yeah right! So trying to use Missy to train Chazz!!! Yeah only had Missy for 2 weeks....Chazz had since he was 8 weeks, he is now mearly 1 year old!! So Missy will get lots of fuss and her treat when she does what I have asked. Then I will turn to chazz.

PICT0009 (2).jpg

19. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

beagles beagles beagles!!

definitely have a look for haeveymollys thread "positive comments about beagles". a good read.

it is a very common thing for people to say "ohh a beagle, they are hard to train", but they are ridiculously clever dogs. but they also know how to look cute to get away with being naughty, which they are also ridiculously good at.

to be honest, my only negative about beagles is their recall. i know not all beagles have bad recall, but you can never really rely on it. i have had a bad experience as most of you know about, and i know it could happen to any breed, but im not willing to risk it again.

but their positives are many!!!! loving, friendly. cuddly, intelligent, playful, naughty, cute!

my special boy Bailey, RIP
    [​IMG]

my naughty puppy Kody
    [​IMG]

20. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

i love love love my beagle! he is the most beautiful lil boy in the whole ( in my humble opinion).

Like everyone has said, they do get bad press but it doesnt bother me cos he proves them wrong everything!
    Fully toilet trained
    Clicker Trained to do all the basics
    Can steal a shoe , eat and hid the evidence before i even know its gone:lol:
    Will sit politely whilst mummy is busy
    Acts as daddys alarm clock at 6:30am everyday!:thumbup:

also, he is the most popular lil man at his doggy day care, all the staff know him on sight and he has his fav's too!

He is full of beans and has the cheekiest face ever!

I cant say anything bad about the breed, every single one i have met has been a pleasure and good as gold! ( if not a bit cheeky)

Sum pics of my lil poser:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice