UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fireworks in the Smith household this evening. Without being boastful, Molly has perfectly good recall with me but with my husband it's awful. He has been a reluctant ball thrower as he worries the ball will go missing :rolleyes: but he is being better with this. I bought the book Total Recall but apparently having skimmed through, he knows it already.

So can I ask for some advice or observations on this scenario that happened today.

We have a favourite walk where we take Molly most days. They follow a similar walk and he says they play ball, meet dogs and he treats her. At the last field he get her harness and lead ready. She runs off and goes so far away he has to ask where she is (but apparently in a revised version to this story he knew where she was anyway..). He whistled at her, two peeps as we've trained her and she began to meander back, got sidetracked so he did this again but hiding behind the car. He did it again and she hurtled past him and then came back. He put her into the car. No reward. He said he was too angry.

My take was that she should have been rewarded lots and lots so that her changing her mind to come back is the best thing she's ever done.

I've told him to get over himself and not be angry as that won't help fix this but make it loads worse as Molly won't come back to a grumpy arse with no treats.

I've said he needs to go to her sightline and whistle once and then run away so she follows him. Then crouch down and encourage her and give her lots of rewards. Hiding behind the car seems a bit silly to me.

Help, apparently I am wrong and he knows the book already and I am about to kick him up the wotsits! :D:mad:

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Ah, no, don't feel crap. I've only just looked, and I'm not sure I've anything to offer other than my sympathies. It sounds like you don't need any advice on recall....your husband on the other hand needs complete retraining!
Hopefully someone with better people skills than me can give advice on how to provide positive reinforcement training for your hubby! ;)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Oh God I do so understand. I went to dog training with Abi and will do with new pup as OH 'doesn't like that kind of thing'. When Abi jumped up at him when he was slinging the ball I told him to stop her. When she brings ball back I told him to praise - give treats etc. He did it about 3 times for each. Now tonight when she jumped up, he got mad, she is actually biting his trousers by now! She doesn't bring ball back because she gets no reaction. I am going to have to go back to basics with both of them! :closedeyes:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Hiding is a brilliant thing to do. Makes the dog think "sh!t, better go check dad's still there!"
I personally don't reward for crap recalls. But a crap recall is down to my error in the first place so I learn from it and try to make sure I'm not in that position again.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I went away last weekend and OH didnt dare let any of the dogs loose just in case they buggered off.

Of course he has a deep growling voice which Ive tried to explain doesnt help..
He was on the phone asking where their weekend treats were I told him and heard how he offered the treats :eek: I wouldnt think I was being offered anything nice with that grumpy voice !

Having had my husband in training for over 30 years now I can honestly say that men really are the most stubborn of creatures and will need 5 minute reminders if they are ever to learn anything..

Dont give up on hubby he will get it ...proberbly sometime around 2042 :D

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh thank you, I am so sorry for my misery yesterday.

It's so impossible sometimes, you try to help but you can't can you? It's like banging your head against a brick wall. All I wanted to do last night was go home from a horrible day at work, have a little bit of tea and go to bed. Instead I got told how bad Molly was. Then it was apparently me 'talking at him' and not helping even though I bought a book to assist. Apparently he wants to talk to the trainer as I don't help so I've booked a lesson.

We were just going around in circles and he doesn't appear to write anything down or retain it and seems to put his feelings of frustration first. I don't honestly blame Molly for not going back to him! Worst of all we have a retreiva tracking collar and he doesn't even use it. Our trainer told him and I've told him and when he asked what the point was when apparently he knew where Molly was having 'asked someone' I think I finally lost my rag!

I think the hiding could work as you say Shrap but the problem with OH is that he whistles over and over again when she's distracted completely in squirrel watch so he's not recalling her well to start with. *sigh* we got away with loads with the cat! I am glad to hear I am not alone although I feel sorry for anyone who has the same problem.

I get the voice tone as well dorrit. That's why we focused on whistling but having said to himself to do this around the house and garden... he forgets. Doesn't put in any effort and then complains.

I honest don't mind if he's struggling because he's been doing all this but to moan on having had exactly the same training as me, well drives me potty! I have been with him on walks and watched him. He doesn't throw the ball loads and when he does it's not with any real enthusiasm. I tend to view it all as a game so it's ball thrower and getting her to sit and wait so her excitement builds. I cheer when she gets the ball and have almost got her retrieving. So I make me fun. I whoop around and generally be stupid. I also treat her madly when she comes back to me so she's very excited.

And it's a huge waste of money too. There is no point paying the trainer if it's going to be repeating the same problems.

Best that I am at work today! Once again sorry, rant over! *breathes* :D

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Rant away.:)
I kind of know what you mean.
Men need training too.:rolleyes:
I put all the hard work in with mine and even though my oh comes occasionally on a walk, he really moans about franks behaviour. I'm sure it makes frank worse when he's with us.
I don't mind making myself look silly if it means they come back to me but I think some men think its not the done thing :lol:
Also, I'm the one who doesn't make a fuss of the dogs when we're up the table eating.son and oh do and I'm sick of telling them.:mad2:
They then moan if we're having a takeaway on the sofa and the dogs won't leave them alone.

Hope you get sorted.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,429 Posts
Honestlky this is EXACTLY what happens in our house!!! We have had so many rows about the dogs & what my OH does/doesn't do, ignoring advice, letting bad habits develop, etc that I now make sure that i walk the dogs & he only does when I can't (which is rare).

I have posted nuerous times about Roxy & her chase instinct. I have worked so hard to minimise this & can't remember the last time she b*ggered off. OH takes her out last week, within seconds she has gone :mad: I asked him if he got her focussed & excited about her ball before he let her off - no, did he even take balls - no.

Apprently she looked as if she had seen something but rather than recall her & put her back on the lead he thought he would try & 'practise' a recall when she was heavily distracted & running :confused1: :mad2:

When we walk he together I do the hiding & changing direction but all OH does is moan that we are walking around in circles (coz the walk is all about him!) or that it's too tiring with all the ball chases & retrieves, & do we have to stop & do some training when it's a bit chilly? ...... :rolleyes:

TBH Roxy has been alot easier to train that my OH, I have almost given up on him now & just accept (ignore?!) his faults

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I think the hiding could work as you say Shrap but the problem with OH is that he whistles over and over again when she's distracted completely in squirrel watch so he's not recalling her well to start with. *sigh*
This I can sympathise with. My dog is VERY scent driven and if his nose is on the ground he will totally ignore my voice and the whistle. I don't know if this would help but I have the squeaker from a dead toy which I have started carrying round with me. When I want to recall dog but he is in sniffing mode I just squeak it once and as soon as his head comes up recall him.
It's still not perfect, but is a lot better I just have to be really strict with myself not to set him up to fail (and patient - which is not always easy).
Even if he does a rubbish recall in these situations he still gets lots of praise for coming back and then once he is coming back consistently I can work on only rewarding good recalls.

It must be very frustrating though for you - it's times like this that I am glad I am the only person who walks or trains my dog (though given our rubbish progress I suspect he would be better off with someone who actually knows what they are doing once in a while :()

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Not sure if I should post on this thread or as a male and a husband quietly slope off with my tail between my legs:p
That would depend on whether you are a rare sort of sensible male who concedes the possibility that a woman might just know more than you about a subject, or whether you are the normal sort who thinks he must know more because he is male.

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well good news today. Molly went to Magog Downs today and she was good. Went into the woods but came out when called. OH went to the shop and got her some nice new balls. Molly's manifesto is pinned on the kitchen cupboard and they are now snuggled together on the sofa.

A good day!

I have a week with them from 3rd Nov in Norfolk so I am going to give Molly lots of runs on the beaches and do lots of lead work with her. If I can manage it, before then I am going to walk her each morning for 5-10 mins around our road before I go on the train to get her used to being on the lead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.