Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good quality wellies that won't break the bank - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by alphadog, Jun 23, 2009.

1. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I walk about 10 miles a day. In the dry summer months I don't really have a problem, a good pair of Merrel shoes do the job, but it the winter I get soaked, even with trouser legs tucked into walking boots.

Ordinarily I hate wellies because they are cold, uncomfortable and don't fit my chunky calves, so I'm planning on buying a top notch pair this year.... any suggestions?

To throw in some extra requirements, I have arthritis in my knees and feet so they must have a supportive, cushioned sole. Oh, and I'm really poor so they also need to be really good VFM!!

I don't ask for much do I ?!? Thanks :)

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Might break the bank!" but Hunters are the best!

3. Dundee

Dundee Banned

None of my Hunters have lasted well and I won't buy them now. All have had cracked soles within a year :(

I now wear Le Chameau - much harder wearing.

4. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I got a pair of pink wellies with skulls on them for £8 in Asda a few years ago in the kids part. Most comfortable and long lasting wellies I've ever had plus I love skulls so was added bounus. I've got a few pain conditions and my feet can swell so I can't wear alot of shoes for very long but these ones are really comfortable and fit the shape of my foot instead of my foot getting lost. I'm not sure if kids would be any good if you want them big at the calves though.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Not wellies as such, but Viking Dry Boots. They are like a walking boot, but made of rubber with a welded tongue, completely waterproof to just above the ankle, good sole and foot support, lined and comfortable to walk miles in. I found my first pair in a charity shop, took 5 years to wear them down, got a new pair last year for around £37. I looked for them on the internet, but found them cheaper in the local fishing/shooting shop. You can put a gaiter above to avoid mud splashes and keep your trousers dry.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

8. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I've looked at Hunter's but they don't mention anything about cushioned soles. Are they?

Le Chameau seem to tick all the boxes, very flashy, maybe if I start saving now I could get a pair in winter 2010!!

Now that's a price I can live with! All the web sites I've looked at say they are being discontinued in the UK, I better decide quickly :eek:

Thanks folks

9. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

Ah, the beloved wellie boot. At last something I can talk about with the voice of experience :p! Living in a massive peat bog teaches you a thing or two about comfort and durability in a boot...

I had a pair of Le Chameau and they were very comfy with a good walking sole, but after about 6 years they had started to leak so I got a new pair last year. My current wellies are my best ones yet - Neo Galloways. They are about £75 new, neoprene lined and really hug my feet, not tightly, just comfortably, and I get away without needing boot liners with them, which is a huge bonus in my book. The guy that sold me them who works in the Barbour shop said he had a pair that lasted over 14 years in all weathers and terrain without cracking. They are really built to last.

Having said all that, it will probably just come down to personal preference. Hunters are easier to come by and are pretty good. If I could afford them, I would buy one of their £140/pair just for the sheer luxury but at half the price My Galloways are my new (second!) best friends! :D

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I've got the lace up boot's. and a pair of Dubarry's they are soo comfy i live in them:D.

11. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Sorry couldn't resist these Lol .........by Jimmy Choo ;)

Attached Files:

12. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

My head's spinning now! Thanks for all the tips, I'm going to have to spend some time going and trying them on and not relying on internet shopping I think.

:D

13. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Funky Wellies, Wellington Boots, Funkywellies.co.uk

I got my wellies from here, they are comfy and reasonably priced plus lots of cool designs... Had mine for a year and no sign of wear as yet.
    They have some in the sale from £23!!

oops just properly read your last post... these guys do have a good returns policy though...

14. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I have a pair of Hunters but don't wear them because I find them very slippey in mud or wet grass and when it's icy I can't walk at all in them. I got a cheap pair of Dunlop green wellies for £6.99 from a local shoe shop and they are brilliant, no slipping at all.:D

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I didn't know they were to be discontinued! I'll get a spare pair in tomorrow!

16. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Haven't had time to read all replies so sorry if already mentioned. Anyway you can't beat Mudruckers or Muckboots!! I've had them for years and they are the most comfortable and warm boots ever!! Only problem is they can get very slippy as the grip isn't fantastic but it's worth it for the comfort!! I own the riding version and the normal ones and both are as comfortable as slippers!!!

They aren't the cheapest thing around but worth every penny.

17. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I use Muckboots they are comfy and as i have wide (fat) legs they have a stretchy panel and some have a nice fleecy inside which are lovely on a really cold day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice