Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good quality or low phosphorus (non renal) food for CKD cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tobacat, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

My cat was recently diagnosed with CKD. Prior to this Toby lost a lot of weight and in the last couple of months eat very little. The vet initially advised a renal diet, I've tried some and he'll just eat the odd bite. For now it's been more important getting him to eat as he's very bony and I've found he'll eat Felix AGAIL.

My vet has suggested I look for a good quality food to which I can add a binder and one which may contain lower levels of phosphorus, but I'm lost - can anyone give me any suggestions - wet has been more popular than dry in recent months.

He loves milk and chicken, but I haven't given these to him since being diagnosed. I guess these are high in protein, but could be high in phosphorus - does anyone know?

2. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I forgot to say, the reason why the vet suggested a good quality wet cat food is that it may contain less grains, additives and, although, it may be higher in protein, it will be easier to digest and that may help with symptoms. I can add a phosphorus binder to is if necessary.

If not, is Felix AGAlL rubbish cat food like Whiskers, or does anyone think it may be slightly better.

3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I started out feeding renal diet to my girl but she stopped eating it fairly quickly so I just went with feeding her good quality protein to start with. About 5 months after diagnosis she started loosing muscle mass so she basicly had anything she would eat as she became more picky. I fed her cooked chicken and cooked pork with felini complete, Lily's kitchen and any other quality protein cat foods that she would eat. Zooplus has quite a few. It is possible that had she eaten the renal diet for longer it might of lengthened her life span (she died a few weeks ago 16 months after diagnosis) but in the end it came down to getting her to eat enough calories and protein to prevent losing muscle.

Have you read the Tanya s crf site. It has lots of information about food etc.

http://www.felinecrf.org/

Tara_100 likes this.
  4. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Thanks - I'm about to look into your suggestions. I've also signed up to the forum on Tanyas crf site, there seems to be a lot of posts which I will start to follow.

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice