Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good quality, good value puppy stuff?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Shitzulover, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Shitzulover

Shitzulover PetForums Senior

Hi, another puppy thread from me! Does anyone know anywhere I can get good quality but good value puppy stuff?

I need (let me know if anything is missing!)

Crate
    Bed
    Food (I'm thinking combination of raw and complete dry food??)
    Grooming brushes (shihtzu)
    Poop scoop plus bags
    Toys (lots)
    Chews
    Dental chews
    Worming and flea treatments
    ID tag
    Collar, harness and leads
    Puppy shampoo
    Puppy bath (just going to get a washing up bowl to start with I think)
    Cleaning products!! (what is best?)

Thanks!!!! :)

ps getting puppy in a month or so hopefully!

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Crate - Ebay is the best value for money imo

Beds - Collins cash n carry do great, big beds for £6/7 that are nice and good looking. :)

I never use a poop scoop, I use own brand nappy sacks from Asda, 35p/300

Toys - Compare amazon, ebay, zooplus, pet-supermarket and 'the range' to find the best bargains.

No need for dental chews if you're feeding raw or giving good bones to chew on. Zooplus do cheap cows ears for chewing, I tend to avoid raw hide and go for things like cows hooves (with filling), kongs, ice cubes for teething etc

ID tags are cheapest online if you look around

You can use baby shampoo on dogs instead of buying expensive dog shampoo

Hope this helps some.

3. Shitzulover

Yes thank you!

I've seen a website called dinodirect which is a bit like an online catalogie store. It has some nice beds and seems quite cheap too. Only thing I'm not sure on is they sell shock collars and other controversial training methods so not sure I want to buy from there!!

4. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

5. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

that site looks american, you could get hit with import tax if you buy from them and then the stupid post office charge about £9 to collect the import tax :eek:

6. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

just googled dino direct :eek: :eek: RUN

7. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Oh my!!! :eek:

8. Shitzulover

oh god - I just googled them too! I don't know where I got the original link from but there was none of that info. Good job I didn't order anything!

9. bluesupero

bluesupero PetForums Member

I am briniging my puppy home on tuesday, and half my dining room is full up with pup stuff, inc crate, feed bin, vet beds, toys, playpen, food, blankets, etc....
    Now replacing all garden fencing, New gates, plus extra puppy fencing so she doesn't get baffled by a huge space at first,
    I bought my stuff all over the place ebay (all new), amazon, Mothercare (gates) garden centres, local pet shops, pets@home,
    Sooooo excited,
    good luck with your new pup :001_smile:

10. Shitzulover

Thank you! You too! What puppy are you getting?

11. bluesupero

bluesupero PetForums Member

Black and white border collie, what about you?

12. I`m getting my puppy in 5 weeks!!
    I have found zooplus to be good but I`m getting most of my stuff from pets at home, although I know they are quite expensive.
    For puppy bath just buy a baby bath of ebay I got mine for 99p inc. P&P !!
    Have a shop round but before you place an order with any website google reviews first!

13. Shitzulover

A shihtzu. I can't wait!

14. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

You might be able to get your dog in the sink. I do Poppy (5.7kg) and my d-i-l does Poppy's sister (7.5kg) in a normal kitchen sink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What cleaning products are you thinking of? For puppy accidents? Then biological washing powder/liquid is fine. For the odd little accident I used Simple Solution Stain & Odour Remover if just a tiny patch. The 1 litre size comes in a spray bottle.

Poop bags I get from Aldi when they have them in or Asda (same ones but in a roll). They're a decent thickness and black (some people don't like using ones you can see through).

15. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

I bought one crate from P@H and the other from somewhere online cant remember where sorry. My older pup uses his crate all the time its like his little den but my younger pup walks in hers sniffs and walks back out again and sleeps free in the kitchen so it was a bit of a waste of money for her but I have made it comfy with blankets so occasionally she does go and sleep in it.

Chews + toys, I buy cheapy £1 ones from Asda also stag bars from P@H and a few other bits from the Range.

Puppy shampoo I got from Asda with my shopping, it was about £1.70

The Range do cheap large blankets (polar fleece) I cut one into 4 pieces and they are still a good size, I did have a dog bed from Argos but the older pup shredded it and ingested the filling so I have steered clear of beds since then.

I don't use a poop scoop, I just grab a bag and wrap it over my hand then pick up and tie it up. I use the black P@H ones when out because they are quite thick and I am prone to being over excited with the bags and sticking my finger through straight into the poo :eek: I use cheap nappy sacks at home in the garden because at least at home I can go wash my hands if my finger goes through the bag! :lol:

ID tags are pretty cheap everywhere, I have an engraved Kennel Club one for Dibley but its getting ruined quite quickly and is almost unreadable and I have only had him for 4 months so I bought a normal capsule type one from P@H with paper inside with my details written on it for Alice.

Have you thought about which food you are going to feed along side the raw food?

Also a good set of ear plugs will come in handy for the first few nights ;) :laugh:

Good luck with your pup!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice