Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good puppy insurance? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by caterpiller, Apr 29, 2020.

1. caterpiller

caterpiller No thoughts, head empty.

Hello everybody! I will be getting a german shepherd pup soon! He is from health tested parents (KC reg with a traceable pedigree and all info on the database) so I've been looking at health insurance policies and it's all a bit confusing :/

The pup will be kc reg and apparently that means they will have 5 weeks free insurance? How does that work? Is it for the breeder or me to activate? If so, how does THAT work?

As for health insurance, is it really worth it? And any recommendations? Looking for standard lifetime insurance that covers short term problems. Most plans I've looked at are well expensive!

Any uncommon or less known tricks or tips on how to make the first few days home go smoothly? I've been waiting (and researching) for a few years for a german shepherd. But I've never properly thought about health insurance (previous pets have always been from shelters/rescues so there were very limited options for insurance)

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering! Personal anecdotes or advice is always appreciated :)
    (I'm new to this so if it's in the wrong thread, mods feel free to move it to where it should be)

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Pups (KC or not) often come with 4 weeks insurance - it's a marketing technique that insurers use, in the hope you will stay with them rather than swap. The breeder should give you documents and they will include information on how to claim if your puppy needs vet treatment in that period.

Is health insurance necessary - like everything else, that comes down to a number of factors including your aversion to risk and depth of your savings. My current dog needed an operation a couple of years ago that cost about £500 so given what we have paid over the years (he is nearly 10) we are out of pocket. But other people here have had four figure sums paid in the first year of their dog's life. And if your dog develops a lifelong condition such as diabetes the costs could really mount up. And payments will only continue after the first year if it is a lifetime policy. Third party insurance is, in my view, essential - if he were to, say, run into a road and cause a traffic collision the claim would be extortionate.

Remember any new insurance won't cover any conditions that occur in the first X number of days, check the specific policies for the number of days.

Kakite, lullabydream and ForestWomble like this.
  3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum :)

Re first few days, make sure you have toys near you so you've got something you can grab quickly to redirect the pup when he starts to mouth you in play.

Remember *This shall pass* if you don't get much sleep the first few nights or if/when he is hanging off your clothes or treating you like a toy, or when you are cleaning up yet another toilet accident.

Most important of all, try to enjoy this time and take lots of photos and have fun with him. Puppyhood doesn't last long, so try to enjoy it.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

With the potential costs of hip and elbow issues in GSD's, insurance would be wise. Even if the parents had tests with good scores (you don't say how they scored), that improves the odds but doesn't remove the chance of things turning out wrong. If the dog got to say about 4 with no problems, you could drop it then.
    Unless you're so loaded you could put your hand in your pocket and pull out 8 grand or so.
    My first rescue dog came with 6 weeks free Petplan. On the day it expired she was hospitalised with a severe infection and I renewed it from the vet premises. I had to pay the excess, but apart from that they covered the £900 bill.

#4 Burrowzig, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. caterpiller

Haha I think I have a hole in my pocket!
    but yeah, for sure, I'm probably gonna go get pupper insured. Any particular companies you would reccomend? And any policies? ie for long term conditions or not? Thanku!

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

They give you copies of paperwork that they should have sent to the insurers. You ring up when it's due to renew quoting the policy number and set up a direct debit.

7. caterpiller

Oh ok! I've read a bit more on that and I think that I'll start with a different company from the get-go since I'm not planning to stay with them for long term :)

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, Petplan. They aren't the cheapest but they are reliable and normally pay up without any dispute. Also - a big plus - most vets will deal with them direct so you don't have to find the money first then claim it back. And they don't do massive annual hikes in premiums when it comes up for renewal. Bear in mind that if you want to change insurers at any time, any illnesses your dog has had would be classed as pre-existing and not covered by the new insurer; a stomach upset could rule out cover for any digestion-related ailment for instance.

Robbali likes this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I would always take a lifetime cover policy. If your dog develops a lifetime condition such as, say, diabetes, the payments would stop at the end of the policy year if you didn't have lifetime cover.

But that's just my opinion, I'm not a financial adviser and therefore not qualified to give financial advice.

10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Hello there from a fellow GSD owner. I don't have anything to add to the advice you have been given re insurance, but I definitely want to see pictures of your pup when you get him.

Have you owned a GSD before? They are truly wonderful dogs and sadly often misunderstood by people. Put plenty of work in at the beginning and you will no doubt reap the rewards further down the line.

Make sure you have plenty of thick clothes as they are very bitey pups and not gentle with it! They are very clever though and learn things very quickly.

Make sure you have a decent hoover as once the pup gets older he will shed like crazy - they don't call 'em German Shedders for nothing!

O2.0, Sarah H, Moobli and 1 other person like this.
  11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I always say this but I think all puppy books should come with a paragraph that states wear old clothes that you don't care will become ruined with teeth marks, and like you say thick clothes.. Not seen it yet but it's one of the best advice you can give a puppy owner. Yes you won't be looking like you stepped off the cat walk for a good few months, but it also helps the stress levels with dealing with all things puppy. You aren't going to turn into a ranting mess, or get frustrated because a favourite item of clothing has been damaged. The focus is training, play whatever you are doing.

caterpiller and Sairy like this.
  12. caterpiller

Here he is! (Eating his first bowl of solid food and another of him looking slightly disgruntled) aaah I can't wait for him to come home!
    He's eating Butchers Puppy food at the moment. Any opinions on that? It's for all breeds/sizes. @Sairy pup!pup!
    Screenshot_20200503-153258_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200503-153321_WhatsApp.jpg

#12 caterpiller, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
  13. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

mine arent puppies but, since the lockdown, and, needng freezer space, Ive swapped mine from raw feed onto Butchers grain free
    and theyre thriving on it
    its not the
    "omg i swear by this cold pressed single zebra protein thats mutts nuts"
    and costs more than gold per gram to feed a large breed
    but
    its a good middling priced all round food
    fair enough if you can afford to feed the mutts nuts, go for it
    but if your dog is happy and content, growing, playing and sleeping as they should be
    then whatever you feed is doing him good

#13 mrs phas, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Sairy and caterpiller like this.
  14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I'm with Pet Plan & tbh would never be without insurance as I've claimed quite a bit over the years. I've never had any issues with Pet Plan, they have always paid claims promptly & although were probably the most expensive insurer initially I haven't found their premiums to be hiked up as other providers seem to do.

I have two GSDs; one (now elderly) that was a rescue & one (working lines) I have had from an 8wk pup & I train/compete in IGP with. I am obsessed with the breed now & can't imagine having any other.

O2.0, CheddarS, caterpiller and 2 others like this.
  15. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Oh how gorgeous :Kiss

I've never fed Butchers so don't know much about it, but I think it is a middle of the road sort of food. There is a thread on here all about food so it's worth having a look at that. You will need to keep him on the same food initially anyway and then you can switch at a later date if you want. Like @mrs phas I have also temporarily switched from raw to packaged food I can store in the cupboard to save space.

caterpiller likes this.
  16. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

Pletplan life time cover for me, really good and never refused a payout. I can’t remember exactly but I think I got £7k cover.

As for food, I feed raw normally but when I’ve forgot to defrost or have none left, butchers is my go to. She has the tripe one, she loves it but you need a gas mask for picking up the poop :Hungover I’m pretty sure I’ve been heard at 5am on one or more occasions telling daisy her crap stinks along with me urging while on a walk :Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

caterpiller likes this.
  17. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

Ooh a GSD puppy! I look forward to seeing more photos when he comes home. I have owned the breed for the past 25 plus years and couldn't be without one or two. I currently have two working lines who help me around the farm and are excellent companions and watch dogs.

My two are insured with Bought by Many. I would recommend getting insurance of some form if you can afford it. Were your pup's parents hip and elbow scored? It isn't an absolute guarantee but it certainly stacks the odds more in your favour if the parents, grandparents etc etc are health tested with good results.

caterpiller likes this.
  18. Robbali

Robbali PetForums Newbie

Good advice. We have just been stung by Animal Friends. Not so friendly when you make a claim. Our springer had a small urinary infection in 2016 which we declared to AF. Last month he developed a sudden prostate bacterial infection from which sadly he did not recover. AF delved into his previous vet record like the Gestapo. End result is we are left with 2000 bill for a pet that didn't make it anyway.A double whammy.

19. Robbali

Robbali PetForums Newbie

Out of interest how much insurance do you pay?

caterpiller likes this.
  20. caterpiller

Yup, both parents hip elbow scored and they're pretty good (can't remember the exact number of the top of my head) and sire is DM and Hemophillia clear. Hmm yes, I'll have a look at Petplan and boughtbymany. Just out of interest, @Cleo38 , how much did the premium increase when you made a claim? And how much more expensive is it than others? Thanks for all the info guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice