Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good news for farmers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blitz, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

They should do that for the whole of the UK.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

That's a stiff fine, I hope it makes a difference. I can't believe how blasé some people are about their dogs around livestock!

Blitz, Happy Paws2 and tabelmabel like this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Me neither. From my own (very basic!) observations and from speaking to people, I think at least part of it is ignorance.

We have a problem in Scotland with people who are 'town people' either re locating to the countryside to live or just day tripping.

The other problem is an assumption that these folk are wise in the ways of the country and know the same things that country folk know which is not the case. What is obvious to country folk just is not obvious at all to town folk.

Take sheep worrying for example.

Many people have no idea at all that a dog in the field can cause pregnant ewes to abort lambs.

I spoke to someone very recently about a dog being in with sheep. Response "he's only a small dog just playing with the sheep"

This idea that dogs are just having a little play with the sheep is one i have heard 2 or 3 times.

When farmers do speak about sheep on tv - they focus on actual attacks. I think more needs done on the sheep worrying aspect too. People have not got a clue, they really havent.

On the flip side, i have met folk that are scared of sheep, worried to cross a field in case the sheep chase after them!!! People dont even seem to have a basic knowledge of basic farm animals.

Likewise we have had people having problems getting trampled by cattle, littering, leaving gates open, trampling crops, feeding horses.

Some is pure vandalism and lack of respect but there is an ignorance aspect too.

lorilu, MontyMaude, Sarah H and 4 others like this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

OMG that's awful. Just playing??? I hope you put them right!

Sarah H, LinznMilly, Blitz and 3 others like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Of course! But i honestly dont think they get it at all. They really believe that, as their dog isnt actually ripping the sheep limb from limb, it's all fine to have a little run about in the field.

And, to be fair, there is just no information on this - unless you have been brought up with this knowledge, how would you know? I never see it anywhere. The actual consequences. I never see it written that sheep can cardiac arrest with shock.

I grew up in the country so i knew this all my life it seems. But it isnt out there for townies at all.

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

As far as I can remember I’ve known about dogs and sheep, yet I was brought up on the edges of town rather then deep in the countryside. I can’t understand why people don’t seem to have this basic knowledge, surely watching your dog chasing around after a panicked animal can’t be seen as normal. I’ve lived in the countryside most of my married life, 48 years, and have seen the damage that can occur.
    There was a Yorkshire terrier that was always escaping from its garden despite the owners trying to stop it. It managed to kill two lambs and injure several others and injure ewes as well. The owners apologised, paid up and rehomed the dog to someone who lived in a town.

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I get there is ignorance, but even the ignorant can practice common courtesy. And allowing your dog to run amok on someone's property is not cool in any context. I wonder if these are the same people who go to a public park and allow their dogs to run up to people trying to relax and maybe eat a sandwich and put their muddy paws all over everything?

One of my often repeated refrains to the kids whenever we were out in public with the dogs was "not everyone likes dogs" and instructing them to keep the dogs away and unobtrusive.

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

You would think, but even on the beach a couple of days ago, two dog owners were talking. Both dogs were on leads. One was a pup and it was pestering the heck out of the other one, who was running as much as her lead would allow, one way then the other, to get away from the puppy. I was astonished at her patience to be honest. The owners - totally oblivious. Both of them. And that was with their own dogs.

lullabydream, Blitz and O2.0 like this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Doesn't seem right 'liking' some of these posts, we need an "I agree" button!

Other than private property, there are very few if any off leash places left here in the US.
    On the one hand it's definitely safer for so many reasons, but on the other hand, with owners who already don't train their dogs, even a basic recall seems to be becoming more and more of a lost skill.

I don't know what the solution is, I just know that more and more people have dogs without really understanding how to be responsible owners. Those of us trying to do the right thing becoming more and more of a minority :(

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Yes, I agree. The situations I was talking about wasnt the sort of situation where a dog is in the field for a prolonged time chasing round and round - it was more the kind of blazé attitude o2 was referring to, where people stroll alongside on the outside edge of a neighbouring field and the dog just sort of runs parallel in the sheep field, running amongst the sheep but quick to catch up with owners.

The owners dont even seem to be bothered that their dog is in there.

We have a lot of pop up fields round about us and unsecured fields right next to busy public paths. Despite the lockdown, im sure we are getting a lot of non locals as one field in particular had quite a few dogs in (not at the same time)

As far as im aware, the sheep seem to have survived these dogs running through the field but it just seems incredulous to me that anyone can take such a relaxed attitude to it.

I have also had situations where i have warned folk that there are sheep up ahead and get 'thanks, my dogs are fine with sheep' and just carry on off lead!!

How do they know??! I had Tilly sheep tested but i dont think that is a common thing to do amongst pet dog owners.

Eta - not recently but i have had owners act surprised and grateful when i have told them the sheep will likely be in lamb - they dont seem to understand the turn around of the year, the months a ewe will be likely pregnant or anything.

Where i live, it is very predictable. The farmers seem to use the same fields at certain times of year for sheep. There are always certain clues that sheep are about to appear. Turnips in a field is a dead giveaway!

#11 tabelmabel, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    lullabydream likes this.
  12. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Well I have actually been chased by a sheep :Hilarious
    I just managed to get through the gate before it headbutted.

tabelmabel likes this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm more familiar with goats than sheep and neither bother me, mamas with babies can be worrisome but easily appeased too.

I'll tell you what, I will not mess with a swan or a goose though! Those suckers are mean!!
    I am not a bird person. :Penguin

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Hahaha! Me too. Years ago my sister, my niece (who was only little at the time) & I were in Cambridge walking along the river when a swan decided he didn't like the look of us & chased us. Everyone thought it was hilarious but it was quite scary. Then we thought we'd lost him so sat down to have our sandwiches only for him to come running round the corner to have a pop at us again! It seemed to go on for ages but provided entertainment for others tho :oops::D

15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Horrible aggressive things! I don't know why they're always depicted as these graceful pleasant creatures! Monsters I say! :mad::Hilarious

But seriously, birds are scary. Dinosaurs with feathers.
    I still have a scar on my finger from where a parrot tried to bite it off, and I still have mental scars from the damn geese that would guard the manure pile at the barn I worked at as a kid!

16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I must admit birds are probably the only animals that do scare me at times. When I was with my ex we took a parrot away from his mother who wasn't looking after her properly. She was very aggressive to alot of people but for some reason she really liked me. She used to sing to me & sit on my shoulder then snuggle in to my neck but I was always on edge as I had seen the damage she could do when she was p*ssed off!

17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious That is funny!!!!

I like sheep and some of the tups are very friendly and will approach.

Goats - we used to have a school goat. 2 in fact. The first one Billy, he just disappeared. One of these school pets that just disappears and is replaced with not a word spoken. Then Nina appeared. I think it was Nina that got a hold of the toggle on my anorak (remember anoracks circa 1976?!) And she chewed it, wouldnt let go!

I was held there by that goat for what seemed like a very long time. I'd popped along to see her after school one day. I was a bit wary of goats after that.

Geese are scary - got stuck on a walkway over a lake once due to hissing geese.

Never been scared of cattle though and probably should be more wary. We were put out as kids to play on the edge of the moors with the advice that we'd be fine as long as we made no sudden moves when they were around!

70s parenting, eh?! So we used to traverse the moors in slow motion, totally believing this and never came to harm. Never worried at all.

A couple of years ago i was on a brittany training day held in a field of cows. To start, the cows were far away but you know how nosey they are - with each dog they came closer.

Then folk started passing their turn as they were worried about cows. Got to me, not a bit scared. Was all focused on Tilly. Turned round to find the entire herd at my back. I was slightly apprehensive with having Tilly there on a line i think she was.

I made for the fence, panicking internally but outwardly calm. Was barbed wire too. The trainer was with me and he lifted tills over to me.

Everyone was lined up watching, saying how brave i had seemed. I just styled it out!

Slight diversion from farm animals if i may: just thinking of school pets our primary school kept guinea pigs. Not a pet i ever had at home. I think it was the school ones that kicked off my interest.

Cruellest thing ever though - housed in a corridor between the assembly hall and 2 infant classrooms. How stressful! Then they had babies and we were told to be very quiet when passing or mum would eat the babies. This absolutely intrigued me to the point i still remember it almost 50 yrs on!

Thank goodness pets arent kept in schools these days.

lullabydream likes this.
  18. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I dont know much about parrots but i was watching something on tv recently just about the amount of parrots surrendered in lockdown and a woman who rescues them said that parrots tend to bond very closely to one person for life and become very upset when that bond is broken.

Said they can live up to 70yrs! Wow!

Cleo38 and lullabydream like this.
  19. neverforgotten2020

neverforgotten2020 PetForums Junior

I agree. I must admit to basic ignorance. Many years ago, when my border collie was a pup RIP Max, I didn’t know the difference between working and other border collies. I thought it was good that he was playing and herding the other dogs in the park. It was only really to keep him safe that we attended training classes. It makes me ashamed to admit it now. Luckily for everyone concerned, we managed to get by and learn from our mistakes without any serious implications before it was too late. I honestly believed that they would behave like they do on the television. Looking back, and with the knowledge gained from this forum, I realise that we were lucky and I think the fact that I had an autistic young son, so we had to make lots of adjustments to our family life anyway, these changes with a boisterous pup and then beautiful lively dog, saved us, without realising it I think.
    Nowadays with the internet, I am not so sure why there is so much ignorance.

lullabydream and O2.0 like this.
  20. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

An outpost of the place where my husband worked had a number of geese as guards as well as the security guards. Guess who was the most efficient.

I tend to steer clear of fields with cattle in especially as I’ve got older and not so quick on my feet, just don’t trust them. I was fine with the cattle a former neighbour had, Jerseys, as they knew us and another neighbour always had some young bullocks in nearby fields who were relaxed with dogs as they were used to them. One of my goldens would round them up if given the opportunity.

I like sheep and used to have some pet sheep years ago and they were fine with my dogs although did chase Jodi a bit as she wasn’t included in their flock as Tora was. They did have a habit of mugging people for food if they walked through the fields they were in but steered clear if they had dogs. There’s a flock of sheep in the village with lambs and I like stopping and watching them for a while when out on a walk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice