Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

good foods for weight gain

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by minizoo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. minizoo

minizoo PetForums Junior

i have a 6 month old American Bulldog who was previously starved, have spent time building her food levels up in accordance with vet so that she can now tolerate normal feeding but id like to find out which feeds are best for weight gain. x

2. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

tripe makes dogs fat and you can stick a jacket spud in thats what my da does.

3. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

i had another idea why dont yo add another meal a day of the food that you dog is having now.

4. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

When my mongrel Angel had trouble holding weight in her old age the nice people at Burns advised giving her potato in addition to her normal food. She had it mashed, roast, jacket spuds, pretty much anyway we were having it except chips! She did love her potato mind, even to the point where she started digging them up out of the garden!
    I seem to remember them saying that the potato was suitable because of her old age though so it might be worth contacting the maker of your dog's current food and asking them for advice. They might have a high energy/working dog food that would fit the bill.

5. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

lamb ribs, pasta, spuds, or just a good quality puppy food, she will soon put her weight back on being a wee pup.

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

a good high protein food, she still needs the nutrients perhaps even more so after being so underweight.

she needs "good" weight on not stodge just yet.

but watch her energy levels and make sure she doesnt get hyper on it.

7. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

and another thing if she is a pup she needs special pup food - i answered first but did not put that.
    ruby

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

What food are you feeding at present and how many meals a day

9. minizoo

minizoo PetForums Junior

she is on 4 feeds a day, just gone down from 6 smaller to 4 slightly larger.

when she arrived she was in such a state the vet advised to not even walk her yet as her body couldnt cope, she was kept in a tiny cage where she couldnt stand straight and was stood in inches of her own pee and poo.

she is on science plan puppy food with chicken and rice mixed through.

she is a big dog and very skinny, she put on 3kg in the first two weeks and went up 2 collar sizes but it seems to have leveled out a bit now and she is still very thin.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice