Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good food to feed to avoid constipation?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ldr, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ldr

ldr PetForums Member

Hi, I used to visit these forums years ago but haven’t been around for a while. I’m hoping you might be able to give me some advice about which food to try for my 8yo bichon, Oscar.

At the moment he’s been eating mainly Wainwrights trays, with a bit of Applaws kibble because putting that in his treat ball and letting him chase it around is fun for him. His weight is fine and I thought he was digesting his food fine (as he was pooing regularly and seemed healthy and happy), but a week ago he became quite unwell, was refusing food and was vomiting, and didn’t do a poo for several days. Obviously I took him to the vet, where they felt his tummy and did x-rays which showed he was very constipated. Laxatives didn’t work and, long story short, in the end he needed to have a general anaesthetic and have the poo manually removed.

It’s possible he ate something unusual that could have caused the constipation when he was out of our sight the previous weekend when off the lead in the local forest, but the vet couldn’t identify anything specific, so I’m concerned it could be his diet. The vet I saw for his checkup this morning suggested Chappie when I asked what food he would recommend, but I’ve heard less than great things about the quality of Chappie as a long term diet, so I wondered if anybody had any other suggestions for foods that are especially good for dogs that are prone to constipation. Price wise we need to stay roughly in the same ballpark as the Wainwrights, but there’s a little wiggle room.

Edited to add: Alternatively, I’d also welcome suggestions for any kind of supplement etc. to add to his current diet that could help.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Will he tolerate milk? I find a little milk, some cooked green beans, and oily fish keep things moving for my dog. Pumpkin puree is also meant to be good but the quantity is important - a little will firm up loose poo but a generous amount is good as a laxative.

Torin. and ldr like this.
  3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Was he having the original WW trays with rice or the newer grain free ones? The original used to keep Heidi v firm whereas the veg ones didn’t.
    Chappie original wet food is a staple many keep in the cupboard incase of upset and it’s all some dogs can tolerate so I definitely wouldn't dismiss it. That said, it used to firm Heidi but that was what she needed.
    Someone once advised “to firm them up, use food that grows beneath the ground and to loosen, food that grows above.
    Hope you get your boy sorted v soon.

ldr likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Sardines in oil do the trick for mine - i get the cheap tins from aldi, think they are 36p and a full tin in with the food works. Or the ones in tomato sauce - both work.

Marrowbone is known to make dogs loose. Raw bones normally consipate dogs but not the inside of a raw marrowbone - straight through!

ldr likes this.
  5. ldr

ldr PetForums Member

Thank you for your replies, everybody, I've only just seen them because for some reason I didn't receive my notifications so I thought nobody had replied! I'm glad I came and checked just in case :D

I just started yesterday giving him a little milk in a bowl of water to encourage him to drink more, because I think he has been a bit dehydrated. He seems to be tolerating it so far and my husband, who walked him this morning, said he wasn't straining and his poo was softer, so I'm hoping that'll work out. I'm also thinking of getting him a carton of lactose free milk to put in his water, because I suspect that if I can just keep him drinking enough by using the milk to give the water better flavour, that might do the trick.

He was having the original ones. We tried the grain free ones for a few weeks a couple of months ago but he didn't really seem to like them and was often leaving his food half-uneaten for hours, which is very unlike him, so we went back to the originals. Perhaps we can try moving to the grain free ones again after a little while on the Chappie, if that plus the extra water gets him sorted out.

That's a great idea, thanks! I'm going to Aldi later today anyway, so I'll get some and give it a try.

Thanks everybody!

tabelmabel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice