Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

good food for IBD, anyone??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catz4m8z, Jun 7, 2010.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im really tearing my hair out trying to 'fix' Patrick at the mo.:( He is still crated most of the time so he doesnt eat the others food and was having semi formed stools on Applaws chicken with pumpkin.
    However I was worried how long he could be on just this as it isnt a complete food so last night before I left for work I gave him some Royal Canin sensible as it was recommended by a friend. Well, it is def NOT for Patrick! Poor boy, had diarrhoea and vomiting all over his crate. He was so pitiful looking in the morning.:(

But what do I try now??
    I cant afford to feed him enough Applaws tins a day for an adult cat besides the fact it isnt complete.(Im more then a little worried that if a bland diet and steroid injections and antibiotics arent helping he might have cancer). Maybe Im just taking things too fast??
    Anyone have any experience with a cat with IBD??

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I had a cat with IBD. She did well on high quality food without any fillers or any crap (and slippery elm :D).

Does he eat pate or only the shredded meat type? If he eats pate, then i would suggest grau. Although grau contains 4% wholegrain rice, it has a really high meat content (89%) and no other crap. It may be worth giving that a try.

Alternatively, there are good reports from people who feed their ibd cat raw. I guess it is the ultimate high meat no filler food.

3. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

Hi have you tried ringing aisworths homeapathic medicines as they are really good and might be able to help you, they are not expensive, my dog suffers from collitis and we went to the vets and it cost me a fortune and then we tried differnet food but still he was bad and losing weight.Anyway to cut the story short i rang ainsworth which is a freephone number and spoke to a pharmacist and she sent me these tablets which cost me £11 and he is better!!! i cant believe it but they have worked, its worth a try if you have tried everything eles and he is still not well.

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies! (I was beginning to think I was alone!!LOL):rolleyes:
    He will eat anything, probably due to the steroids making him hungry, but only seems to be able to keep the plain chicken moist foods down. I would love to go raw both coz its better quality and also affordable but am worried about getting the mix right. He only has one canine tooth left so bones would be a problem!!:D
    Can anyone tell me the best place to get slippery elm from as well??(Id like to try it as it sounds really helpful).
    Ive gone and ordered him an aviary today to live in as the dog crate is really too small. That way I can confine and monitor him but he will also have space for his sleeping/pooing/eating areas to be seperate and will be able to sleep in the sun and watch the birdies ot the window!:thumbup:

I often say my cats are a burden and I do wish I didnt have some of them but I really cant stand to see animals suffering at all.:(

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I think you can get slippery elm from Holland and Barratt.

6. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

There are several things i'd try here. Raw mince, pro-kolin, no dry, and def no pumpkin - this helps loosen bowels not firm them. I would speak to vicky at darlings real dog food company as they do cat minces and i think they may be able to help with suggestions on boneless mince with ground egg, worth asking, as they work with a vet on compiling the minces. Pro-kolin will help promote good gut flora, i use it for mine and its fab. Get it from petmeds as its half the cost of the vets. I'd also talk to your vets about an elimination diet - where u feed one type of meat over 6 to 8 wks and normally a type they've not had, like venison or horse or rabbit etc. This will show if there is a good food source for your cat to eat without upset.

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I have sent you a visitor message re slippery elm.
    Re the raw - preprepared minces should be fine, even for a toothless cat. They don't need to chew that, just swallow. So, that would be a great way to get a bones into their system.

As The Twins suggested, get in touch with Vicky at Darlings - if you want to use darlings. They do an intro offer whereby you can get 3 kg of meat for £10 including delivery. Their minces are quite finely minced so your cat should be ok. Or there now also is raw to go, which sell DAF minces, but they look more coarsely minced, so that may not be as suitable.

8. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

canine teeth arent a worry for bones, the cats done use these to crunch the bones hun so dont fret. The canines are to hold the meat in place and to help with tearing meat, not for crunching up the bones. However if she has some serious dental disease you might want to feed minced bones in a complete minced cat diet.

Another additive to try is peppermint oil, this has calming effects on the bowel and helps to stop it spasming.

I have a cat with some form of ibd.... looooooong story and still ongoing but she is a bit unique.

For the majority of cats with ibd/colitis, a good raw diet (providing her immune system is in good working order) would be ideal.

In this case I would steer clear of the larger mammal meats (beef, lamb, pork) because they are not natural prey items for a cat. There is some evidence to suggest that some forms of colitis/ibd and other digestive complaints are because the cat does not have the necessary digestive enzymes to deal with these meats. Good meats would include, chicken, duck, rabbit, quail, goose, turkey, pheasant, pidgeon, fish, any other game bird, and the rats, mice and chicks you buy from the reptile section of a petshop.

hope that helps x

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thanks again, folks!!
    Going to order some decent minced food for him (oh, and when I said he only had 1 canine tooth I meant thats his only tooth!). Also will try Holland and Barrett for the slippery elm.
    (best not tell the vets, they are sooooooo anti herbal medications!:rolleyes:)

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

To my knowledge, Holland and Barrett only do the premixed capsules. I personally would try to get some powder so that you can make your own cat appropriate mixes. Dorwest do a treepowder one, which contains a lot of slippery elm.

Remember that slippery elm interferes with the absorption of nutrients and medicine, so it is best given an hour or so before food or any meds.

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice