Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good chew?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Veba, May 11, 2018.

1. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

I'm looking for a chew to give my 11 week old cocker pup. I'm trying to get him used to being alone and he's not interested in anything except food! I have a puppy kong so will also try stuffing and freezing that. He has an antler but doesn't stick with it for very long.

I'd like something that isn't bad for him but all I know is to avoid rawhide.

2. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

Bonnie is currently having Cotswold Raw chews. They don't last long, but she loves eating them and they are pure meat (rabbit, duck, chicken, venison) so no nasties.

3. Annitta

Annitta PetForums Junior

Hello,
    We were giving our Luna (12 wks) Bully Sticks but her vet said those were not a good idea until her adult teeth came in. I guess Bully sticks can damage her puppy teeth and cause them to fall out way to early.
    Have you tried this: https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Safestix-Medium-Assorted-Colors/dp/B006BU7FQU?
    I gave it to our Luna and she loves chewing it. It's soft enough to not damage her puppy teeth, but hard enough to provide some relief.
    We also got her some heavy-duty cloth toys that she really enjoys, but her favorites are the soft rope kind. Those are her go-to toys whenever she is chewing something she's not supposed to, like shoe or my phone charger.. Rope toys like these: https://www.amazon.com/Whoobee-Play...=1526072210&sr=1-21&keywords=rope+tug+dog+toy
    She was given these by a friend of mine and she goes a little crazy for them when she hears me jingling them: https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Nylabon...6072559&sr=1-6&keywords=puppy+chew+toys+rings
    I hope the links work, if not I can post pictures of her toys so you know what I'm talking about.
    ~Annitta

4. Annitta

Annitta PetForums Junior

I also found this very helpful video on training pups who are obsessed with food. It could help your little guy:

Veba likes this.
  5. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thanks. I've got similar toys but he's just not interested at all. He loves to eat though!

6. Annitta

Annitta PetForums Junior

Hmm..
    Maybe you need to teach him how to play with distractions like treats and food. We're working on that with Luna because she get extremely distracted by the smell of her treats. It's working really well so far and she looks at us now for commands even though the treats are right in front of her nose. I did what the lady in the video suggested and it was a rocky start because we started her training on a different method, but she's on track now. It's worth a try or at least watch the video, it's only a few minutes long.

Veba likes this.
  7. Annitta

Annitta PetForums Junior

Something else that she seems to love us this toy. I only let her play with it while I’m watching her so it may not work for you. But I think it could teach your pup to focus more in his toy than you. It’s a very rubbery ball that you can place treats in. I cut the big part off of a Bully stick and squeezed it in there. There is no way it’ll come out unless she chews through the rubber, which is why she only get to play with it a couple times a day while we watch her the whole time. It’s called the JW Pet Tough By Nature Hol-ee Roller and I think I have the mini.. it’s a small one as you can see the size of compared to my hand.
    I uploaded a picture and tried to upload a video but that didn’t work.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Attached Files:

8. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thanks. I have the ball but have yet tried with a big treat inside so will do that. I watched the video but those dogs have nothing on what mine is like! He will scratch and go mad for a bit of carrot! He does know leave it so I guess I'll just keep practising that with him.

We went to the pet shop and got a chew he loves and will last for ages. It's not branded though so I've no idea what's in it. I did ask the owner for something that's not bad for him. It will do for just now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice