Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Good all round dry food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by koekemakranka, Apr 15, 2011.

1. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Could anyone advise me on a good all round complete dry food (choice limited to Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Iams or Hills') for my three cats. The trouble is, they are all rescue cats with different health issues:
    5 yr old neutered male who has hairball issues, occasional UTIs and nervous disposition;
    1 yr old female with sensitive stomach (sloppy poos) and stress-related alopecia (she was in a cage at a shelter for over 6 months);
    3 yr old female with sensitive skin
    They are currently on Hills Science Anti-hairball (for the male's beneift). However the new female has a sensitive tummy and I am mixing the Hills Hairball with Hills i/d prescription food. The i/d is not for long-term use apparently and the female doesn't like it (prefers larger kibbles). Someone has suggested Royal Canin Sensible which will help the sensitive tummy of the new girl, the sensitive skin of the second female and will also suit the fussy male.
    Does anyone feed their cats the Sensible and how do your cats like it?
    Any other suggestions welcomed.
    PS I have tried home cooked meals and raw food: they all refuse to eat any of it. I have also been giving the sensitive tummy female plain chicken, but she refuses to eat it and steals the other's wet food. The wet food issue is beginning to stress us all out. I have found a local supplier of grainfree holistic wet food which I will try (but they probably will refuse to eat it)

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh, the crusade continues.... Shame you don't have access to the likes of orijen or acana. But hey, that would be too simple, eh?

Given the choice, you may as well try the RC33 Sensible to see whether it is a food that would suit all your cats (and their various ailments, predilections, sensitivities and preferences). Otherwise Eukaneba might be worth a look - at least they declare some of their meat content and the carb content is relatively low too (emphasis on relative....).

The name of the wet food alone sounds expensive - holistic - hope they will at least eat it!

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I use Royal Canin Fit 32 for both of my boys and they really enjoy it.

My biggest worry, like most folks, was the fluid intake and so what 'I' do is soak 2/3 of their portions in boiling water approx 30mins before they are due to eat. I then mix in the final 1/3 dry just before I put it down for them. This way I know exactly how much fluid they are consuming.

I have been doing this for approx 6+ years now and can say that so far, touch wood, I have not had any problems in the waterworks region. Even my old man, who had his thyroid trouble at 17, had excellent kidney function for his age (his kidneys were tested when the HT kicked back in again).

Both Merson & Oscar (10yrs & 13yrs) have got good, soft shiny coats, problem-free teeth and their 'toilets' are 9.9/10 solid. Sluggie also had all of these at age 17 which, so the vet told me, is not so usual at that age.

Again, to repeat, this is what 'I' do and it is working just fine for my babies. Others may disagree but then, that is why there are SO many food options - so that we can all choose the one that we prefer & seems to work the best. :001_smile:

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I purchased a bag of RC33 Sensible when all my 3 had dodgy tums. Only 2 of the 3 eat dry, a limited amount as I prefer them to eat wet. The RC33 is very well received, a little too much imho, over their regular dry, Orijen.

From the cats perspective, they prefer it to Orijen :rolleyes:

5. koekemakranka

Typical, the buggers:mad2:
    I am still working on the Orijen. Someone told me they had seen a friends of someone's friend's auntie or something with Orijen in their house who apparently got it from an importer in Cape Town. I am trying to track this person down at the moment. I REALLY hope I would be able to get a reliable supply that is not too expensive. Here's hoping....

6. koekemakranka

Thanks. Actually, surprisingly, it is not too badly priced about R11-R15 for 250g, which is just a little more expensive as "goodish" canned food (costs about the same as a meat pie, for instance). The trouble is getting it, only a few suppliers countrywide, mostly in Johannesburg, or Cape Town, which is a pain. They don't do online or deliveries because it is frozen food (our postal and courier etc services are not as efficient as UK ones) Sigh!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice