Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Goldie with *really* bad breath!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by AmyCS, Nov 13, 2020.

1. AmyCS

AmyCS PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    Our 6-year-old Golden Retriever has in the last month or so got really bad breath. I know it can be a common thing for dogs to have bad breath but it’s almost unbearable now - we walk into our living area and the smell is instant. He’s on a grain-free and hypoallergenic diet as he gets hotspots a lot.

Would be so grateful for any advice or tips! Thanks!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Has he been seen by a vet?

If not that would should be your next port of call.

Bad breath should not be that noticeable unless up close.

Are you 100% sure its his breath?

Torin. likes this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Can you say what the smell is like. Just wondering if it’s anal glands

If it’s definitely from the mouth then a vet visit is needed as it could be a teeth issue and either a clean or any rotten teeth removed. Could also be food getting trapped in the folds around the mouth

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It sounds as though it could be gum disease or infection.

He needs to be seen by your Vet.

rona likes this.
  5. AmyCS

AmyCS PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. The vet said there’s no problem with his teeth or gums and didn’t seem overly concerned by it, yes it’s definitely breath. The vet saw him last when we took him about his hotspots two weeks ago (the hotspots he gets a lot - that’s going to be my next thread!)

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Does your dog have lip folds - extra skin around the sides of the bottom lips that forms into little pockets? Lip fold dermatitis can cause a bad smell. This would fit with the hot spots too.

7. AmyCS

AmyCS PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Yes checked glands and definitely not from there. It’s around the mouth, a fishy smell. Have checked folds and nothing there either.

8. AmyCS

AmyCS PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Husband has checked mouth folds and they’re all clean, not red and no food stuck.

9. AmyCS

AmyCS PetForums Newbie

Thanks, vet has checked and said no infection, no gingivitis (which he did have 3 years ago). Smell is fishy and definitely around mouth. Wonder if it’s his food?

10. AmyCS

AmyCS PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. It’s a fishy smell, teeth are clean and no signs of infection nor teeth problems. Wonder if it’s his food?

11. Siskin

Hot spots in goldens are not always caused by dermitalogical issues, mine has had a few hot spots and all have been caused by either a bite or scratch to the skin. Goldens seem very prone to hot spots for what seems like no particular reason.

OP, how do you treat the hotspots in your golden?
    If I catch them early enough I find using dilute hibiscrub to clean then try to keep the area as dry as possible using either green clay or antiseptic powder. Otherwise it’s a vet visit

What food are you feeding your dog?

12. AmyCS

AmyCS PetForums Newbie

Hi there. Yes he’s always suffered with hotspots but the last couple of months they’ve been really quite bad. Someone said could be the central heating? He’s on Harrington’s grain-free and hypoallergenic dry kibble as the vet said a year or so ago that he needs GF and hypo food to help with the hotspots? Doesn’t seem to matter which GF and hypo food he’s on though, still gets the hotspots.

When we see them we clean with hibiscrub and dry with cotton wool, will give the green clay a try - thanks!

Not sure if breath and hotspots are linked - at a bit of a loss now!

13. Siskin

Are you on Facebook? If you are theres a really good group called Golden Retrievers GB and another Golden Retrievers UK advice and discussion forum. Both are closed groups and very well moderated. I’m sure more advice could be forthcoming as there are some very experienced owners and breeders that are happy to help.

My experience of hotspots have only been with this golden, previous ones never had them. Sometimes they start in areas where the coat takes a long time to dry after getting wet thereby making a warm damp area on the skin, some like my dog who start them from damage to the skin and others like yours don’t seem to have a particular reason that can be found. It’s possible that the smell from the mouth and his hotspots are connected in some way but it’s not something I’ve have any knowledge about.

Just a bit of a heads up. The grains in grain free foods are often replaced with pulses such as beans and peas. There appears to be some evidence that these pulses and in particular peas, are preventing the uptake of taurine from meat. Goldens seem also to have less ability to store taurine so need to have it available in their food. If peas are affecting the uptake of taurine it can be a very serious matter as taurine is needed for good heart health. My last golden developed DCM (Dilated Cardio Myopathy - an enlarged heart) when she was about 11 and she was fed a kibble high in peas. There hasn’t been formal proof and the research from the US and is still being investigated, but be aware of this with grain free foods.

14. AmyCS

AmyCS PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much, that’s all really helpful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice