Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Goldfish - on his side, barely moving - please help

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Omega, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Omega

Omega PetForums Newbie

Hello there

I wonder if anyone could help me. We have had our lovely little fish for about six months. This morning I came down and found Omega on his side in the bowl. He looked like he was dead as he was not moving. About ten minutes later he started trying to swim round the bowl. He is lying on his side and is not moving his uppermost side fin. He is breathing and occasionally tries to have a little swim. I have separated him from the other fish but we just want to help him and don't know what to do. Sorry to bother you but your help would be very much appreciate.
    Many thanks

2. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

Hi when you say bowl,do you mean the small glass ones with no filter or air pump??

3. Omega

Omega PetForums Newbie

Hello
    Both fish were in a big glass bowl. They have stones in the bottom, an ornament, and a fake plant (just thought I would tell you exactely what is in there). I have been feeding them goldfish flakes and I put aquasafe drops in the water when they are cleaned out as it is a hard water area. We have another fish in there but I have moved the poorly one out into a separate bowl.

4. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

when had a tank i had a few fish this happened too i tried everythign i knew and got more books and i still lost them. In the end When the last fish went like it Rather than letting him suffer i let put him to sleep. I then sold the rest of the fish and the Tank as i couldn't do it anymore i had more potions and lotions and fliters and pumps for the tank then anything else.

5. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Have you changed the water or sprayed anything around the tank/bowl. Things like furniture polish, flee spray. hair spray can be toxic.
    It might be worth changing the water slowly by trickling fresh water in.

The chlorine in the water from the tap can sometimes be damaging to them.
    Leave a bowl of fresh water on the side for a few hours and let the chlorine disperse then trickle this in.

6. shortbackandsides

keeping fish in a bowl imo is cruel,sorry to be blunt but you need a proper tank with a FILTER AND AIR PUMP as gold fish are messy at the best of times,your are probably starved of oxygen and being slowly poisoned in thier own waste:(

7. shortbackandsides

when you set up a new tank you need to leave it to mature for around 4/5 weeks,add some tryzym bio start and a pinch of food after a week or so ,so the filter can start to mature after the set time add 1 fish per week and you shouldnt have any problems:)regular water changes around 25%-40% every 2 weeks,replaced with fresh treated water,rinse filter sponge out in OLD WATER TAKEN FROM TANK,NOT CLEAN or you will destroy the good bacteria and risk losing your fish:)

#7 shortbackandsides, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. Omega

Omega PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately, we asked the advice of the local aquatic centre on how to look after the fish and how to keep them. They said just to get a big glass bowl - so we got the biggest we could. They said a pump wasn't necessary (we did ask if we should be getting one) and they said just to put water in the bowl and then put the fish (in the bag they came home in) in the water for half and hour before tipping them in. I wouldn't ever intentionally be cruel to an animal - so sorry if I have offended anyone on this site.
    Thanks very much for your help.

9. shortbackandsides

it was not a very good aquatic center then,that was terrible advice they gave you:(start again,maybe use the bowl for a plant;)and im sure you fish will be much happier:)you can buy starter tanks quite cheaply,you need a filter and air pump.:thumbup1:

10. I don't think you are being cruel and I don't think anyone on the forum does either.
    We have quite a large pond - with pimps and filter, this has happened to us on several occassions - the kindest thing is to euthanaze - doesn't sound very nice and something I cannot bring myself to do.

regards
    DT

11. LittleMissSunshine

LittleMissSunshine PetForums VIP

sounds like a problem with the swim bladder, look it up (google it) and you should get answers about causes and cures...

Good luck xxxx

12. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Im sure you have not offended me. I have been given very bad advice from pet shops in the past and find now that i reserch anything myself before making my mind up.
    alot (not all) of these pet shops would not have a clue how to look after the animals they sell. Just very good at selling them.

13. shortbackandsides

totally agree,a lot of aquatic workers wouldnt know a guppy from a oscar;)much better to come on here:D

14. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Bad advice is rife in shops so don't blame yourself, you'll get better advice on forums and magazines in my experience. :D

When you set up a bigger tank with a filter don't bother with the commercial cycling products, they usually contain the wrong bacteria. Instead use fish food or bottled household ammonia from a chemist or supermarket to kick-start the cycle.

The problem with the fish could be due to the water quality in the bowl. I would obtain a test kit for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from an aquatic store. If the ammonia and/or nitrite are present carry out several large water changes using dechlorinated water.

Swimbladder problems can be caused by several things such as internal damage or tumors pressing against the swimbladder (untreatable but also very unlikely), taking in too much air when feeding (especially if you feed a lot of floating foods) and internal bacteria (which can be related to the water quality, poor water quality lowers the fishes immune system, leaving them open to disease). The second cause can be cured by simply cutting out the dry food and feeding some more frozen and live foods such as bloodworm and daphnia. Placing the fish into another container with just enough water to cover the fish will also help as will adding some epsom salts (available from a chemist) which will help to clear out the digestive system. If internal bacteria is the cause you will need a chemical treatment, also placing the fish into a seperate container with a low water level will help. I would try eSHA 2000 or Interpet no. 9 anti-internal bacterial treatment.

15. Omega

Omega PetForums Newbie

Thanks again for all your replies. Having spent many years looking after rescue animals the last thing I would have wanted is to think I was putting a couple of fish through a living hell. I obviously will not be visiting that aquatic centre again.

I went downstairs after reading some of the posts and to my surprise Omega seems to be swimming around as happy as anything. I have lowered the level of the water in his 'hospital' bowl and he seems to be swimming quite normally - I can't see any damage to his fins but his body did look at bit bloated this morning. Clearly, something is not right with him and therefore this needs to be addressed. I have found a pet centre that is attached to a local veterinary surgery and it has been recommened for its expertise re equipment and advice. So, once my husband has finished work we are going off to get a pump, filter, etc to see if we can't give the fish a better home. We will also invest in some frozen and live foods to see if this helps out as they are on dried food at the moment and I am hoping we will be able to get some of the treatments suggested as the centre is geared up to help sick pets so I am hoping they will be well stocked - I will be printing off your help and taking it with me for reference.

I really appreciate all your comments and wished I had looked at the forum as soon as I got the fish as there is so much good advice and help on here. Thanks again.

16. Omega

Omega PetForums Newbie

Hello
    Just a quick update. Omega is now - or so it seems - fighting fit once more. I got him and his tank mate some bloodworms and some Interpet treatment. He seemed a bit slow to eat on Thursday but since then he has been fine. He doesn't appear to have any problems with swimming and the bloodworms have been a real hit. Thanks again for all your comments and advice. Much appreciated.

17. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Thats brilliant, i do love a happy ending

18. Superpettoysrus.com

Superpettoysrus.com PetForums Senior

oh good....think im going to get some blood worms for my lil guys, wanted to buy some new fish today soon but we got snow :( :(

19. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Hi Ya...I thought this might be of help to you..I was watching QI the other night and this very suject came up...Apparently a lot of us think fish are dead when they are on their side when in most cases they arent...From the programe it seems fish do this when over fed....:D:D but do recover.

20. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

That is sooo sad to think they could end up down the loo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice