Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GOLDFISH ILL HELP

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Freckles007, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Freckles007

Freckles007 PetForums Newbie

I found my goldfish stuck between the side of the tank and the filter yesterday, she seemed fine but I came home today and she keeps stopping and sometimes floating to the bottom and then swimming fine again. I have moved her to a big bowl so that she doesn’t contaminate the other fish. Since she’s been in there she’s been doing fine, swimming perfectly and eating. What should I do now? Should I put her back in the tank, I know that bowls are not good for goldfish but I don’t have another tank. Please help

2. Freckles007

She’s gotten worse, she now stops every minute and lies on the bottom of the bowl

3. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Please test your water for ammonia nitrite and nitrate, and post the results. If you don't have a test kit you need to get one ASAP - the API master kit contains all you need and is far more accurate than the cardboard strips.

4. Freckles007

The earliest I can get it is tomorrow, so what should I do tonight? Should I leave her in the bowl, she’s not looking so good. I think she’s got swim bladder

5. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

For now, I'd do a 50% water change in the bowl, taking care to temperature match the water and use a dechlorinator. Don't feed her either for the time being.

ETA - if you have a large food-safe container such as those big plastic storage boxes, she'd be better in there than in the bowl. The higher the water volume, the better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice