Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Goldfish fry advice

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Ella Brathwaite, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Ella Brathwaite

Ella Brathwaite PetForums Junior

My goldfish gave birth to eggs yesterday and I need all the advice I can get to give them the best chance.
    At the moment I know separate tank, oxygen pump and liquifry.
    How often should I change the water ?
    And just any other advice would be great at they should hatch within the next few days. Thank you

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll need to change it daily. When they're tiny, keep the water level low - just a few inches, as it makes it easier for them to find food. They'll use up their egg sacs in the first few days of hatching and won't need or want to eat.

Set a container of water on the windowsill in full sunlight. It'll grow algae which in turn will grow a colony of microscopic live foods for them. Newly hatched baby brine shrimp is good for them too.

Add some aquarium salt to the water to prevent fungus affecting the eggs. Watch out for velvet on the youngest when they first hatch - that's the biggest fry killer. The salt should help though.

Ella Brathwaite likes this.
  3. Ella Brathwaite

Ella Brathwaite PetForums Junior

Thank you so much. Is it better to put something in there once they have hatched and swimming for them to rest on or would it be better to keep it empty ?

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Just keep it bare.

5. Craig Wild

Craig Wild PetForums Newbie

How exciting :)
    It'll be very interesting to see how they develop, keep us update with photos and good luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice