Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Goldfish filter help needed!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by BecBish1, Jan 8, 2019.

1. BecBish1

BecBish1 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I've just upgraded my fish tank size as my three goldfish have gotten quite big and am having problems with the filter it came with (bought the tank and filter secondhand but have all new carbon sponges and fine sponges.) I have an Interpret PF Mini filter in the tank, which I'm worried isn't bringing enough oxygen into the tank. It's circulating water and cleaning the tank, and it's silent if I submerge it under water completely but my fish are really sad when I do this, are hanging out at the bottom of the tank or are starting to gulp air at the top which I know is bad. If I move the filter up so it's partly submerged, it produces air bubbles when pumping water but is so noisy and scares the fish.

Any advice is needed - how am I meant to use this filter is beyond me, can't find any info online!

Thank you so much in advance

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Sorry no experience with that particular filter, but what size are the tank/filter, and did you transfer filter media from the old one to the new one? Your fish seeming "sad" sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning, and I suspect that the tank/filter may well still be too small - goldfish need much more space and filtration than most people realise! In addition, if you didn't transfer the old filter media your tank will now be undergoing a fish-in cycle, as filter media needs to grow a colony of good bacteria before it can be of any use in removing harmful toxins from the tank.

kittih and magpie like this.
  3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Google tells me the Interpet mini filter is only suitable for tanks up to 40 litres, so it wouldn't really be near enough filtration for goldfish. For 3 goldfish you should have a tank of around 200 litres (for fancies, or more for single-tails) and for goldies it's usually recommended to have a filter that is good for double the size of the tank.

And as above, if you swapped the filters without saving any of the old filter media/sponges, you will have unfortunately gotten rid of all your good bacteria. Do you have a test kit to test the water?

kittih likes this.
  4. BecBish1

Thanks for your replies! I went to my local pet shop for advice as I was changing tank shapes so couldn't transfer the filter easily. I was advised to run both in the new tank for a few days which I did, with the new filter cleaning the water and the old filter just adding the good bacteria. What is the best thing to do to fix ammonia levels, I do a weekly water change of a small amount but didn't know if I should up this a bit whilst they're going through a change, or if it may cause stress?

5. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Running both filters together will have helped a little, but it does sound like the main problem is you're underfiltered and probably your tank is too small (you didn't say what size it is, but judging by the filter it came with I'm guessing it's quite small). Yes, I'd be doing daily water changes at this stage, and get hold of a liquid test kit such as the API master kit ASAP so you can test the levels of ammonia and nitrite. Also get hold of some Seachem Prime if you can, and dose a whole-tank dose of this daily. But ultimately it sounds like you'll need a bigger tank and a bigger filter (this doesn't have to be expensive - look on gumtree, ebay, facebook marketplace etc for bargains!)

6. BecBish1

That's great, thank you so much for your help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice