Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Goldfish & Black Moors

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by keftrog94, May 27, 2018.

1. keftrog94

keftrog94 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light from real experiences..

I have a 125l tank, I had 3 goldfish, 4 rosy barbs, 2 corydora’s and 2 silver loaches. 1 of my goldfish (Barry) died about 4 months ago.
    I came home from work last week and another of my goldfish (Dennis) has died as well, just Phil left now. (I know, my fish have the best names ).
    I’ve always wanted some black moors, I’ve read repeatedly that they can only live with other fan tailed fish, but can they really not live with a gold fish? The remaining goldfish isn’t as crazy without the others, so I don’t think that it would bother them too much. It doesn’t bother with the small fish I have in the tank.
    I was just wondering if anyone had had black moors and a normal goldfish together.
    Any comments much appreciated!

2. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Hi I haven't kept goldfish for years but I believe a black moor is actually a variety of fancy goldfish so both can be kept together.

It might be worth testing your water parameters first as goldfish are quite heavy on your bioload. I would be looking first to see why the others died as goldfish are very long-lived fish

3. keftrog94

keftrog94 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    One fish had dropsy, no treatment helped. The others were fine afterwards so it just seemed to be him. The second, was fine and died randomly so I have no idea what was wrong. I’ve been watching them closely since and all of the fish seem healthy and there are no signs of anything wrong.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Gold fish can produce large amount of ammonia and sometimes in a tank with several goldfish it is possible for the filter to struggle if it doesn't have sufficient bacterial population causing occasional ammonia spikes. Poor water quality is the most likely reason for sudden deaths in fish and can be responsible for all sorts of symptoms. Smaller fish or those with a smaller profile can often be completely ok when these small filter issues OK as they have a lower oxygen requirement due to smaller body size so a low level if ammonia compromising the gills and organs a little has less affect on them.

You may well find if you were having intermittent ammonia issue that now the bioload is smaller that you will find all is fine.

Your tank is pretty small for the number of fish you originally had.

Generally it is not recommended to keep standard goldfish in tanks as they grow very large with a wide girth and should live will into their 30s. Fancy goldfish can grow to cricket ball size within a year or so in good conditions and whilst they should be kept in tanks due to their body shape and double tail, the tank should be as large as possible, more than 200 litres for a couple.

I would make sure you test your water using a good quality liquid master test kit eg API regularly. Also look into upgrade g your tank and filter. A good external filter or two can really increase water volume without the need to increase tank size as much but the fish still need plenty of room to swim.

magpie, Picklelily and NaomiM like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice