Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Goldfinch?

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by JoanneF, Oct 25, 2020.

1. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think I saw one today, in Fife. I don't know how unusual they are, I certainly don't think I've seen one before - is it likely that's what I saw?

Maybe @Siskin could advise?

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

They are less rare then they used to be in England. They used to be seen more often in farmland or more natural areas, anywhere where there might be thistles - they love the seed. However they have over the last twenty or so years become garden birds as they have caught onto feeders especially ones containing Niger seed and sunflower seed hearts.
    At this time of year they tend to gather in large flocks and hang out together, one year we had over forty regularly coming to feeders in the garden, they were eating us out of house and home.
    They have a wide range in the uk and are in Scotland apart from the high mountains. Very pretty birds with red faces and prominent yellow wing bars.

The photo is one of mine taken in the garden

EC083E72-540E-4E91-A6E3-94B74A987211.jpeg

MAK KAMO and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Thank you so much @Siskin - I feel quite lucky to have seen it. It was on farmland with the thistles so I am more reassured that it was one that I saw. :)

4. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

I rarely see goldfinches in my garden, despite a fine stand of teasels, but saw a large flock of them on farmland a few days ago (in Staffordshire)

JoanneF likes this.
  5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice