Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Goldendoodle?!?!?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by helen123, Jan 25, 2012.

1. helen123

helen123 PetForums Newbie

Does anyone have a goldendoodle?? what are the like? are they a good idea going for a mixed breed such as goldie and poodle or is it a no no?? would love to know what you all think.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Golden Retrievers and Poodles are both stunning breeds. Why cross them? :confused:

3. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Big - last time I weighed he was over 5 stone about 26th inches tall, bouncy can vary greatly, fur can be poodle like or retreiver like. Mine moults loads I brush him everyday, if they don't shed they will matt so grooming requirements vary greatly. I love my dog to bits and would not be without him very sweet natured and has been soo easy to train BUT I can personally only vouch for mine as I don't know anyone else with one (well I do on the net but not in the real world).

A good breeder is just as important wether its a cross or a pedigree you can get bad in either, just because its a cross does not mean automatically healthier - if you cross two unhealthy pedigrees you will still get unhealthy pups :D

DT likes this.
  4. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Because you can create some thing like this.

[​IMG]
    Still confused ????​

What does that sticky thread say about criticising cross-bred dogs ??

5. DT

DT Banned

Who critisized them? She merely asked a question!

6. DoodlesRule

You should be aware some people disapprove strongly of crossbreeding, personally never met this in reality only on the internet ;) Contrary to some opinions you can get breeders who health test.

I have my own reasons for having one, depends what yours are really or is it a leading question rather than you want one lol

7. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

it says NO....That pup is gorgeous BTW...

8. DT

DT Banned

Honest and accurate post, You obviously know the breed well, refreshing reading!

9. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

don't think she was critizing though just stating an opinion. I luv both breeds and the cross, if you want one though I would find someone who does the correct tests for the breeds...

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It depends what you want from a pup/dog, and then you have to find the right sort of breeder that you're happy supporting. Health testing alone, for me, does not make a responsible breeder, there has to be a purpose behind it, and that's where many feel that cross breeding doesn't fit the bill. I personally think, there is a place for nicely bred cross breeds, such as goldendoodles, however, they need to be the best of examples, and all the things you would take into account, or should take into account, for any dog breeding needs to be in place, temperament and health, and that includes knowledge of conformation, or structure, as this can leave a pup/dog prone to injuries if they're not built right (hope that makes sense). The problem is with any decision about a pup, finding a good breeder, there's a lot of chaff out there, lots of people breed for cash, and sell every pup time, after time, taking far too many litters really, so you need to do a lot of research. You can check how many pedigree litters have been registered, although that's not always a guarantee, as some breeders will choose not to register a litter, or breed a litter of cross breeds inbetween registered litters. So you can start to see how difficult it might be to find a breeder that ticks all the boxes.

I don't know enough about goldendoodle's to comment, other than hip score, bva eye cert and gpra status, I'd like to see possibly elbow grades, and would need to look further into what hereditary conditions crop up with poodles to see if there are any more that may need testing for. One thing that does worry me about Labradoodles, and goldendoodles, is the conformation of the knee joint, too upright a stifle can leave a dog prone to cruciate injuries, so you need really to find a breeder who's aware of this, and will take this into account rather than leave things to chance.

I'd suggest if you want a goldendoodle that is more likely to fit a particular type, you need to find not only a good breeder, but someone who has been breeding for a few years, and perhaps a repeat mating to find the *type* of pup you want, although even that won't be a guarantee I'm afraid.

Have a look at the website for the Labradoodle Trust (easily googlable), their info about poodle crosses is spot on.

:)

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Eh? ....................

12. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

I dont know much about the cross but have met an owner who had 3 and they are big bouncy full of love and fun, i would have one but then i like big bouncy fur babys!

13. DoodlesRule

:eek: thank you :eek:

14. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I imagine they would be extremely variable in both personality and height weight etc as with all crossbreeds. two pups from the same litter could be VERY different.

Just make sure you are not lining some BYB's pocket, and the dog you are getting has health tested parents.

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I've met a fair few and I love them! :)

I will have a rescue doodle one day, the main reason they are turfed out is because people are led to believe they will not shed and then they end up with one that has taken more of the goldie genes coat wise and do moult.
    If you want one that doesn't moult then adopt an older one as you just can't tell when they are wee puppies.

It's like with any other cross though... it could take any characteristics from either breed so research the good and the bad points about both breeds.

And if buying a puppy make sure that both parents have had the relevant health tests rather than just buying from someone who wants to make a bit of money out of their dog.

16. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

The few larger doddle mixes i have met have been out of control monsters, i think the owners got hooked on what a cute looking dog they will be (and are) but turn into large bundles full of energy they have no idea how to control :w00t:

17. DoodlesRule

I will bring mine to meet you and you can compare lol :D

18. helen123

helen123 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all your comments sleeping lion, we have been looking for a golden retriever and have come across some goldendoodles and was told they DONT! malt and have lovely temprements and wondered what you all thought. Reading all these threads think i will stick to my original chose of a goldie (as some one said its not till they are a bit older that you can tell which dog they will be more like).

19. DoodlesRule

Well that is wrong cannot say they DON't moult as you don't know until they get older, coats change and as I said before if you do get one that doesn't it will matt - I would rather have a moulter than a matter lol.

In my view temprement is down to both breeding AND how you bring them up - mine is lovely and so laid back but if I had mistreated him sure it would be a different story

20. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

A friend of mine has a goldendoodle and a labradoodle, i was very suprised just how different they are the LB looks just like a labrador cant see any poodle in him at all, the goldendoodle has mostly poodle what can i say he is adorable,huge with just the best personality, very calm loving dog... PERFECT!! i adore him.:001_tt1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice