Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Golden Retriever - Quick Fixes Thread

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by RobD-BCactive, May 6, 2011.

1. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

OK, so I have honour of taking out a GR 3/4 - 1/4 Collie, he's shown himself to be very intelligent and giving great attention.

Only funny thing was, when he swims for a stick, he's waiting too far out in water, so I can't throw it again. Being in the water and having the stick is very rewarding obviously.

His normal fetch is pretty good, he mostly runs by and drops on command, but sometimes offers an auto-retrieve with beautiful sit and drop at my feet.

If my BC's get sticky in water, thanks to hot weather, at least I can reach the stick, or call them out with not much effort. The Goldie was just seemingly expecting me to join him however! :eek:

Any suggestions? Or may be any other Breed Specific tips for interest.

I do know about the incredible GR tide marks and planned my walk accordingly with mud before the beach, and making sure the route back was fun and non-boring for him to keep him from wallows.

#1 RobD-BCactive, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

Surely you don't throw sticks for dogs to retrieve. The dangers of sticks are widely known. Dogs have been injured and even killed in stick incidents. Please please don't throw sticks.

3. Statler

Statler PetForums Member

you throw sticks into water for dog????? no doubt the dogs wearing a collar too :rolleyes::eek:

as for your retreive problem, easily sorted, its gundog training 101 but a retrieve is NOT done with sticks.........ever. you should have read the backchaining thread

4. RobD-BCactive

The danger is minimal on this spot, and I don't do fetch with sticks in other situations, a floating stick is not going to cause impalement or mouth laceration. Safer objects were used in all the normal situations, I would like as there are sticks in the water anyway, to get him to bring it out, with a Collie it's easy done. Furthermore I've actually cautioned the dog's owners against sticks, but he regularly seems to be allowed to chew them.

I don't have time or responsibility to do a Retrieve course or do back chaining steps, I'm simply asking if there's an easy way with GR's to encourage them not to "stick" in the water.

One reason I want him to at least bring any stick to the bank, is so he is not chewing them. It is far safer for me to throw a stick to keep him moving, than let him stick chewing the thing in the water. Not practical for me to dredge the lake or clear the surface, so perhaps if you have experience with breed and have a trick to share, or perhaps food reward is the way to go exploiting greed, I'd appreciate it.

#4 RobD-BCactive, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  5. RobD-BCactive

The solution is to put the GR at long on, and have your friendly neighbourhood BC as Wickie.

The Wickie tidies up for the outfielder, and when the long on is drawn off field and leashed, auto-matically covers the deep field perceiving the gap and the need to cover. Make sure your original long on, doesn't have 2 objects at once, or it just circles endlessly not bringing either nearer.

Team work is the key but the Collie eye.. priceless!

6. keirk

keirk PetForums Member

Surely you just recall him out of the water? I'm confused.

7. RobD-BCactive

I often use the inbuilt Collie behaviours, so the dog does what I want, but without messing with the dog's training. I saw it do same thing with it's Owner, and I hoped there'd be a way to get him along, without using cues, or wandering away too far.

See the dogs are playing, not working, their responses are voluntary.

The GR doesn't have the greatest recall, so I'm wanting to reinforce it, not punish, so I have better control of him in future, should he get distracted. That and having him not lose objects (new) is all I feel I should work on.

I thought there'd be "Gun Dog Lore" like with WSD's, which have quite a lot of inbuilt behaviour you can work with, or suffer, if you dont' understand them. There's not much sign of any Collie specials, so for this purpose he's basically a slender GR, not gundog trained.

So far I've just discovered how to get a GR stuck like it had OCD :D

#7 RobD-BCactive, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice