Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

golden retriever help

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by dafearnley, Jun 5, 2010.

1. dafearnley

dafearnley PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, i have been looking for a pup for sometime now however i have 2 very young boys and 2 cats so i wanted to make sure i got the right one, having finally decided on a golden i was wondering if anyone had any tips on good breeders and what to look out for an who or wha to avoid etc, the last thing we want to do is end up at a puppy farm without realising.
    thabks in advance xx

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

3. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Having just had a litter of golden retrievers we "advertise" through "the golden retriever club of scotland" who generally have a waiting list so I am sure you will have something like this in your area.

Great dogs and temprement (wrong spelling). I ahve 3 young kids of my own and am a childminder and Amber loves to be part of it all.

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Maybe if you could state which area you are in,someone may see this and be able to be more precise with help.
    You could also try Champdogs.co.uk and have a look through the Kennel club website,they will have lists of KC breeders in your area.
    Iv just got a new goldie myself,wonderful dogs.Make sure you do lots of research,view the health checks of the parents(hip and eyes etc)dont just take the breeders word for it.Look into the background pedigree of any litters you wish to view.
    Good luck in your search :)

5. rona

rona Guest

Unfortunately, being listed on either Champdogs or with the KC is no guarantee of a good breeder. So make sure if you do take this route, that you check them out throughly before getting a pup.
    You will find that most good breeders have a waiting list, and you may have to wait months for the right pup.

6. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Thankyou Rona,i should have added that.There is no guarantee,thats why i did say to do lots of research on the litters/parents/health tests etc.:)

7. rona

rona Guest

I knew that you knew, just clarifying for the OP ;) :thumbup:

8. dafearnley

Thanks for all your advice i live in the southwest.:thumbup:

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Me too!.am happy to help in any way i can,but we all like different things in dogs lol!
    Theres lots of good goldie people on here,who im sure wouldnt mind looking at pedigree names,if you find any litters you like the look of.

10. rona

rona Guest

You need to talk to Tashi, one of our moderators, she breeds Goldies and knows a lot of breeders, both good and bad :)

11. dafearnley

How do i find a moderator?

12. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

I think you can send her a private message, user name is Tashi.

13. Danielle P

Danielle P PetForums Member

Hi Dafearn,

well done for taking your time in looking for a puppy. So many people just jump straight in without doing any research. As other have said, even with the KC, theres still no gaurantee that they will be good breeders. A lot of puppy farmers are kc reg.

I do know of a breeder here in wales but she has a long waiting list.

I believe a website that only accepts adverts from breeders with proof of health testing is Dial A Dog. Breed advise in the south west is judi stanley, her number should be on the website.

You seem very sensible so Im sure you wont fall into a puppy farmers trap, just be warned of the below things.

Non KC reg
    Multiple litters and breeds
    cant see mum
    offering to deliver :rolleyes:
    epupz :(

As I said, Im sure you'll find a good breeder with very healhty pups as your doing everything correctly. Good luck :thumbup:

14. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Give me a shout and I will help you I am in South Wales and know most of the breeders in the South West as well :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice