Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

golden retriever first litter

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by angiecot, Jul 11, 2009.

1. angiecot

angiecot PetForums Newbie

hi can anyone please help, my golden retriever is due to have her first litter of pups i did have her scanned and was told she was having 5 or 6 pups but i have also been told that the scans or not very accurate can anyone please tell me how many pups i can expect a lady in the pet shop said her dog was scanned and also told to expect 5 or 6 her bitch (lab) had 12

2. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Wow thats a differance

I had my bitches scanned at 5 wks and i was told 1 has 7 and the other as 6
    I could see each pup on the screen so i am sure thats what my girls are having

How far gone was your girl when you had her scanned?
    Have you got any pictures for us to see?

3. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

i had my lab scanned and there was 6, however one wasnt looking good the guy said, she went on to only have 4 so think it can go either way, think a scan is more reliable just as a way of knowing that the dog is pregnant although ive also heared of people been told no pups and then going on to have pups so not much help. how far along was she when you had her scanned?

4. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

we saw all 6 of ours so yours could still have less or more i suppose..lol
    all were really clear apart from the 6th one. only 4 were there at the birth though

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i always have mine scanned by a sheep scanner 30-32 days never been wrong...................... how many days was your bitch scanned at ?

6. angiecot

:wink5::wink5:thank you all for your replies I'm very grateful for your help, i had Jess scanned at 28 days approx, shes looking good at the moment and I'm hoping all goes well i know her mum and her aunt both had to have c sections I'm, praying that this doesn't happen to Jess. i have been told by a friend of the family to take her for another scan but i just don't want to upset her anymore than necessary.i will keep you all informed of her progress i'm putting some pictures on these are of jess and jake at the river hope you like them

Attached Files:

7. kiera09

kiera09 PetForums Senior

Hiya, I've heard sooo many stories of people being told their dog isnt even pregnant and they've gone on to have 1 or 2! But I'd say be prepared for a few more! Hope everything goes well xx

8. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

aww lovely pics

9. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

your dogs are lovely, i own a yellow lab and love golden retrievers, hope everything goes ok for you and please keep us posted on her progress, when are the pups due?

10. angiecot

:wink5:hi everyone in my reckoning jess should be due to have her pups around the 23rd july this would make her 63 days, although i have been told they can go anywhere between 60-65 days even a little longer a friend of mine her pups were born on the 57 day although i think that this is a bit more unusual. we are all so excited about the pups but i'm also very anxious as this is jess's and my first litter i will keep you up to date with her progress and as soon as anything happens i shall let you know, thank you all for your support it is very much appreciated, in the meantime here are sommore pics of jess and jake. the lighter one is jess and the darker one jake hope you like them

Attached Files:

11. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Both Jess & Jake are gorgeous!

Hope all goes ok and keep us up to date....and don't forget pics! :)

katiebell likes this.
  12. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Got to ask you

how are they both bred ;)

13. angiecot

we bought jess 2 years ago she comes from a long line of champions her family are show dogs and shes gorgeous, jake actually belongs to my daughter we bought him year and half ago jess is 2 today and jake will be 2 on 27th nov he also comes from a long line of champions he too is gorgeous daft as a brush but gorgeous lol

14. angiecot

got to say we were not going to let jess have pups and as the two dogs lived apart there was no problem till me and my husband had to rush off to see my father-in-law who had a very serious accident we were away for almost 8 weeks we had to leave our family looking after jess and while we were away jess came into season and not knowing my daughter brought jake to visit the rest as they say is history

15. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

What are there registered names :)

16. angiecot

the kc names are bignbold bruno and starista white pearl ;)

17. Just been reading your thread and was wondering if the puppies have arrived yet?:)

18. angiecot

hi jess had her pups on 22nd july she had the first one at 2.49am and the last at 9.30am she had 6 girls and 4 boys they are all very well and jess is brilliant with them. we did have a surprise at how many she had because on when she had her scan we were told 5 or 6

clou likes this.
  19. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Congratulations, can't wait to see pictures of the babies, pleeze:D.

20. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

Congrats!! Cant wait to see piccies! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice