Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Golden Retriever Care

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Josephine1564, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Josephine1564

Josephine1564 PetForums Newbie

Hi! About to bring home my new baby boy on Friday. I have bought a crate, a Vetbed, and a cuddly toy.... can anyone recommend some suggestions for the following, please?

* Brushes
    * bowls
    * toys
    * harnesses

And anything else you think is an absolute must would be greatly appreciated.

Had dogs before but not a Golden and I am super excited about this new world for him and me!

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Don't use a furminator on a golden as it cuts the top coat. A well made dog rake is best
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/onebarleyc...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Don't worry too much about a harness yet, Goldens grow quickly and a collar and lead will be fine when you take out a young puppy. This is when teaching good lead walking manners starts right from the first day you take him out on his first walk.
    Toys need to be robust as they can be destructive as they go through teething, you can never have too many. Goldens do like to carry soft toys about as adults especially when greeting anybody, but many soft toys do get de-stuffed easily with pups. I got some unstuffed soft toys which seemed to work quite well.

Just a few words of wisdom. Before your pup arrives clean and Hoover the house from top to toe, do all the washing and ironing and stock the freezer with pre made or easy to make meals. I can guarantee you will find a puppy a total time waster and you won't get anything else done as you watch him play, fend off his nipping and catch up with sleep when he's asleep. Think being a first time mum when there was never enough time in the day. If you are all prepared and don't care about housework then you will enjoy your puppy lots.

FletchNo1 and Josephine1564 like this.
  3. Josephine1564

Just a few words of wisdom. Before your pup arrives clean and Hoover the house from top to toe, do all the washing and ironing and stock the freezer with pre made or easy to make meals. I can guarantee you will find a puppy a total time waster and you won't get anything else done as you watch him play, fend off his nipping and catch up with sleep when he's asleep. Think being a first time mum when there was never enough time in the day. If you are all prepared and don't care about housework then you will enjoy your puppy lots.[/QUOTE]
    Ha ha! Thank you! Yes, I’m already in that mode ... I’ve been getting mentally ready for weeks now and I’ve been cleaning and putting away and organising for what seems like ages. I do feel like a first time mum again- and I’m a mum of two (5&16) but I know it’s going to be like having a baby again! Thankfully everyone’s home from
    Friday for Xmas so we can all give him lots of attention and love (and they can all hide their shoes).

4. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

There's a toy called a kong, you can fill it up with dog food or basically anything a dog can eat. They are really good for keeping pups occupied and good for settling them too.. Good luck :D

Josephine1564 likes this.
  5. Josephine1564

Okay, so need some advice please!

Puppy home, puppy really lovely , followed the advice about the crate training, the Kong , Mums blanket , something smelling of me, a vet bed etc etc. Puppy won’t entertain crate during the day EXCEPT he wees in it . This has happened three times now. Also, last night I put the crate in my bedroom as he just barked a lot and very loud. He settled in the bedroom and got up at 3am for a wee-fair enough and then back to sleep until 7am. So, why does he wee in the crate during the day time but didn’t wee in it last night?? Any advice please!

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Is there any possibility that the breeder used puppy pads? He may have ”learned” the soft texture is similar to what's in the crate and thinks that's where you want him to toilet.

7. Josephine1564

I don’t think so. They were in an large open crate . I don’t remember seeing any pads and initially I put one in but he chewed it up!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice