UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Ask lots of questions and if in doubt walk away.

Questions asking about the breeding history are a good idea. A good breeder will know at least 4 generations of their breeding rabbits history to minimise risk of inherited illnesses.

Ask to see all the rabbits she has so you can see for yourelf the conditions they are kept in and if all are healthy.

Make sure to ask if in the unlikely event you can't keep the rabbit if they'll take it back. This one is important, you'll see if the breeder cares about where her rabbits end up. A breeder that won't take any returns back isn't a good breeder, but one that will take back any unwanted babies they've sold shows they care a bit about where the babies end up.

Good breeders should also do home checks on you and ask you lots of questions to make sure their babies are going to good homes. Most good breeders if not all will give a care sheet with rabbits they rehome, which shows some understanding that they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hi Meena....that's exciting!! What breed are you going for? The breeder I got some of my buns from is passionate about her chosen breeds & grilled me (politely) on accomodation....and in return i grilled her (politely) on dental issues etc....plus she was only a phone call away! We are facebook friends now so she gets to see her wabbits and all they get up to :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
He is a mini lop. Kamie: I did ask questions, she will take back if I can't keep him she is very interested in the welfare of her bunnies and said any issues to just call her.

She has given me a big bag of change over food which will last a few weeks. I went for the one with the more placid. He is moving around checking out his enviroment which is a good sign. He's nearly fully grown as he is 3 months old he is lovely and I fell in love with him <3
She said my cage is fine temporarily it is 4 1/2 ft (RSPCA say minimum for a large breed rabbit is 5ft) and I will be getting him a 2 teir with a home made run soon but he will have lots of access to run around with us once he has settled in.

I love him he is my gorgeous boy :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a buck, if I had 2 they could kill each other. If I get a buck and a doe they could breed resulting in unwanted kits. I am getting him neutered when he is old enough and then going to rescue to get a spayed female so they can help me with bonding. He is 3 months old so I will talk to the vet about when is the right time to neauter and then look into getting a female from rescue after xmas as they usually get lots about that time..

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Aww, how exciting for you! :)

Just thought I'd say, though, that at 3 months he's not nearly fully grown, he's still a teeny baby! My two grew until they were around 14 months, some take even longer to get to their full size (the bigger breeds, in particular...). I thought that needed clarifying, as he'll get quite a bit bigger yet :)

Can't wait to see pictures of him! (Hint, hint!!) ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't mind if he gets bigger, I saw his mum when I was there so I have a rough idea of how big he will get. Pic bellow sorry I didn't use a flash as I didn't want to unsettle him. He did get himself covered in sawdust on the way home bless him :) He loves his tent bed he hopped streight in there.

Attachments

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
I don't mind if he gets bigger, I saw his mum when I was there so I have a rough idea of how big he will get. Pic bellow sorry I didn't use a flash as I didn't want to unsettle him. He did get himself covered in sawdust on the way home bless him :) He loves his tent bed he hopped streight in there.
Ah, he looks lovely! :001_wub: Is he a Sooty Fawn, like my Gaga? :001_tt1:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I have a mini lop, a BEW in the photo on my sig. If he's indoors I would attach a puppy play pen to his crate as 4 1/2 foot isn't massive and my mini lop loves to fly around! She's in a six foot but she bombs round that! Have fun with him, they certainly are lively little characters!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeah he is a sooty fawn :) I am going to build a run. He's going out in the shed my dogs won't leave him alone. The breeder is helping me insulate the shed tomorrow. His name is Hugo.

Edit: I am just looking at ordering in a light for the shed because it's starting to get dark very early!

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
You will find a light very helpful at this time of year.

Hopefully he has a nice cosy hutch inside the shed, with loads of hay. He won't have the benefit of snuggling up to other bunnies, and may get cold as he will only have baby fur. If you can, a Snugglesafe will help keep him warm for now. (you heat them up in the microwave and they stay warm for hours)

He is going to be quite lonely out there, sadly - perhaps a snuggly fleece or baby safe cuddly toy to cosy up to will help a little.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
A light is invaluable! It starts to go dark about four in a few weeks! I live the name Hugo! If its a cage I would cover one half with a thick blanket to keep him draught proof and snug. And lots of straw to cuddle in. I also use snuggle safe's .....they take them or leave them, but it's something you feel better doing, knowing you're helping with a bit of warmth. :)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Yeah he is a sooty fawn :) I am going to build a run. He's going out in the shed my dogs won't leave him alone. The breeder is helping me insulate the shed tomorrow. His name is Hugo.

Edit: I am just looking at ordering in a light for the shed because it's starting to get dark very early!
I have a solar powered light in our rabbit shed, its brilliant. Solar panel attaches to outside of shed and the light is on the inside just above the door so I can find the pull cord easily, just have to watch out for spiders when I go to turn it on. Ours is a strip light with two of those long tube bulbs that we can choose to have either one or both on at once so can adjust brightness. Makes it so much easier than messing about trying to juggle a torch and check on bunnies with these dark mornings and evenings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, he's actually living ontop of our fridge freezer temporarily as it's so cold outside he hasn't had a chance to acclimatise. Also my friend is rehoming her bunny and I am taking her on so after she is spayed I will try and get them bonded. Going to read all the threads. Most of my mice are in the shed, and have thick hay bedding out there. I was considering putting a better door handle on so the dogs just can't get in the bedroom as I want a larger type hutch for them both as she is a larger breed of rabbit than my mini lop boy. It'll be a little while before I can get her spayed anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.