Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Going to start crate training at night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by maizie0_0, May 13, 2010.

1. maizie0_0

maizie0_0 PetForums Member

I am due to get Elsie, a springer spaniel, on the 4th June when she will be 8 weeks old.

I am planning on crate training her and taking her out during the night for toilet. If I set my alarm and come downstairs and she is still asleep, do I wake her and take her out or is it best I crash on the sofa until she wakes naturally and use the sofa for a few days to work out her routine of when she wakes? If I do this, will it be harder to go back to sleeping in my bed away from her?

If she needs the toilet, will she definately whine?

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Hi, congrats on your new arrival. You wont really know until you get her weather you will need to toilet in the night. Harvey never really needed to, and was clean pretty quick. If you are going to crate her at night, especially for the first few night you could put her crate by your bed, as she is going to be unsettled at the move. This way too you will be able to hear her if she wakes. Once she has started to settle you can slowly withdraw the crate until it is where you want her to sleep. There are two brill stickies Cages in the chat section and house training your pup or older dog in this section. Good luck and hope you have great fun. :)

3. maizie0_0

My partner won't allow her in the bedroom so I guess sofa it is!!! :blink:

4. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I would condem yourself to the sofa, as you will be sleping on the floor to withdraw yourself.:D Could anyone lend you a baby moniter? That way you will be able to hear her if she wakes?

Edit to add if you do take her out for toilt during the night remember not to speak to her, during this time, and straight back to bed, however tempting it is to tell her shes beautiful and mummy loves her :)

#4 sue&harvey, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. maizie0_0

I was thinking about that. If I did, would she wake me with her whines or do I still set the alarm?

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

When we got Holly, we tried crating her in the bedroom but she was sooo noisy, so she ended up getting crated in the kitchen.

We set an alarm for 3am, and took her out, she got the message after a while, as dogs won't foul in their beds. She was put to bed at 11pm, with toilet before, then she would be up at 7am.

She now goes to bed around 10pm, and up around 8am - 9am.

7. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Weve just got a JRT pup shes 8 weeks, if she is anything like her you will hear her whining and yapping i actually wake up every mornig just before she starts its like having a baby again, we also have a ESS she was 12 weeks when we got her took her about 3 nights to settle on a night but she had been crate trained before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice