Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Going to see kittens tonight!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kidsandcats, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

I can't wait, me and my two children are so excited!!!

We lost our 2 cats last month, within 2 weeks of eachother. Both hit by cars. I don't live on a main road so we were all really shocked and devestated at losing them like that. We had our two previous cats for 15 years living here so I am hoping we were just very unfortunate. I am considering having them as indoor cats but I am trying to convince my husband to let me build an outdoor safe area in the garden so they can still go outside. We have agreed to keep them indoors for a year and then see how we feel, so I have a year to work on him lol!!!

2. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Aww thats shame losing you cats...:(

But that nice you going to see new ones...ooh dont forget your Camera//;)

3. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hello!

We are getting some kittens at the end of August and I am also considering keeping them inside. We live near a main road too.

It may sound silly but I am worried that someone will take my kittens or harm them in some way. Recently there was an article in the paper about someone who abused a cat and the cat had to have surgery :eek:

I have never had indoor cats before but I am hoping it will work out.

Kori

4. kidsandcats

Hi Kori

It will be nice to keep in contact then and see what we both decide and how we get on. I don't know anyone with indoor cats and when I talk about it I get strange looks and my friends think I am weird. Even my husband says that it is not normal to treat cats like this and it's cruel to keep them in but I dread the thought of letting my new cats out now after what has happened. My husband says that it is unlikely to happen again but like you I am also scared of other things like cat napping etc. I read on the internet the other day that a cat died from drinking water from a tub near their neighbours garage. The guy had just changed the anti freeze from his car and didn't dispose of it! One of our other cats got attacked by a fox once. Luckily he was ok but that is also a fear of mine as we live out in the fens. Be nice to have someone to chat to about it!

5. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hi!

Yes it would be nice to know how you get on. I am too new on here to be allowed to send a private message but will as soon as I can! Good luck seeing the kittens. I hope you like them.

Kori x

6. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Hello,

The two rescue cats we have were advertised as house cats by the vet who was rehoming them.

I think they lead happy and fulfilling lives, even without the outside world. I don't think they know what they are missing as they never scratch or pine to be out. They love to sit on their cat scratcher in the window (very sunny) and watch the world go by.

Obviously it is your decision, but it is no way weird to have indoor only cats. I am a big advocate for keeping cats in, I would be a nervous wreck if mine were out. I think it's the most sensible and responsible way to keep a cat, maybe this is due to having dogs all my life before my kitties.

Hope everything goes well with whatever you decide.

7. Amzy

Amzy PetForums Junior

I have 4 indoor cats!

2 are just 10 week old babies so they wouldnt be outside but my 2 year old girl has no interest in going outside, wont go near the door and is perfectly happy!

My big 4 year old ginger boy loves outside and I take himout on his leash every few days and he loves it but the rest of the time he is perfectly happy to be indoors with his mum!

I would worry about them being outside!

I didnt think indoor cats was that strange! lol!

Good luck seeing the kittens!

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I have one indorr and one outdoor and a cat run in the process of being built - the only tim the indoor cat wants outis when she 'needs' a man (and as sh is pedigree and has a mummy matchmaker it ain't happening. The outdoor cat would love to be wholey indoor but has litter using/training issues so goes out for toilet reasons. Niether is missing out and the indoor is happy and content.

9. kidsandcats

Thanks for replies and advice. It is nice to hear from indoor cat owners. That's one of the reasons I joined this forum. I will definately try and work on my husband. I am hoping that as he has agreed to let me keep them in for the first year that he will have got used to it by then!! I am hoping the lady will let me take some photo's of the kittens tonight, because if we have them it will be nice to have some pic's of them at 3 weeks old for the album. If so I will post them on here later. Thanks again, nice chatting!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice