UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Sorry, really poor thread title. It should have been: "Going on holiday-do they get stressed with us going?"

Hi,

For a bit of background I will quote my other thread:

We have two tabbies: a brother and sister around 4.5 years old, both neutered.

The male has had a blockage about 18 months ago that would have killed him if we hadn't got him to the vet in time. His urinary tract was blocked and the vet said although they don't know the exact cause it was probably a combination of:

1. Being overweight (he needs to lose a kilo although he is a big cat, i.e. big frame)
2. Crystals
3. Stress
4. Too much dry food
5. Being an indoor cat (he won't go out as out the back of our house there are loads of other cats and dogs)

Although there were crystals present they said the blockage was more of a spasm and again reiterated that they couldn't pinpoint the cause. He's not insured, by the way, and it cost about £650 in vet bills.

We stopped dry food and tried to keep the litter tray clean as he is really picky about this and if it is not cleaned out often he gets stressed.

It was a case of so far, so good although we have been slack in exercising him and control his food intake (i.e. he hasn't lost any weight). He was symptom free until last month when he urinated blood. We took him to the vet and he said it was cystitis and gave him a shot and some tablets and he's been fine.
We are going away for two weeks next month and I am worried about our male as I do not want him to get stressed out and suffer a urinary block again.

The last time we went away they were funny with us for a few hours after returning. I think it was more that we didn't smell right so they weren't sure it was us. We'd been to Thailand and must have brought back some entirely new smells with us.

While we are away a friend of ours is going to visit every couple of days to refill food and water, do the litter trays and play with them.

My question is: do cats get stressed when left on their own? My wife thinks it wouldn't bother them but they have known constant attention all their lives so I think otherwise. I know they are very independent compared to dogs but they are used to getting spoiled rotten. I also work from home and they are used to me being there almost 24/7.

Having said that we do leave them on their own for long weekends (up to four days) and they are absolutely fine with that.

It's playing on my mind as my holiday would be pretty much ruined if he got ill while we were away as I am a massive worrier and I would be devastated if anything happened to either of them. :(

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
While we are away a friend of ours is going to visit every couple of days to refill food and water, do the litter trays and play with them.

Having said that we do leave them on their own for long weekends (up to four days) and they are absolutely fine with that.

We stopped dry food and tried to keep the litter tray clean as he is really picky about this and if it is not cleaned out often he gets stressed.

Thanks.
Every couple of days ? I don't think that is often enough, is it possible they could go in every day. I wouldnt dream of leaving mind on her own for four days :eek:

How can you keep the litter tray clean if you leave them for 4 days :confused:

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,455 Posts
Totally agree with Cookieandme ,I would never leave cats as long on their own,especially one with a history of urinary probs.
Someone going in at least once a day every day would be my minimum requirement preferrably twice.A hell of a lot can go wrong in the hours/days between visits.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
on my recent week away I left mine at home with a cat sitter coming in every day to look after him. he didn't seem at all stressed as far as we can tell, was eating well etc. he was terribly stressed by the cattery when he went there so it was a relief to come home and find him so chilled.

if they are used to you going away anyway then it shouldnt be too stressful for them. I wouldn't leave them for four days without checks though, particularly if there are existing health probs. it's a long time for them to suffer if they happen to get ill.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I am struggling to work out how you can leave wet food down for multiple days, I know my cat wouldnt be happy continually using a dirty litter tray.

Actually I feel quite angry about this thread.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Sorry I probably wasn't clear looking back at my original thread.

To answer your questions:

1. They have dried food while we're away.

2. They have four large litter trays (two each) so it's not quite as bad as them having to make do with one.

3. When I meant we leave them for four days I mean that we regularly are away from them that long (normally long weekends visiting family down south) but of course someone comes in during that period. What I meant was we have only ever been away from them for longer than four days once and that was for a two week holiday. Sorry if I did not explain that very well and caused offence. I was trying to make the point that they have only been funny with us when we went abroad—which we have only done once since getting them and that perhaps it was because we didn't smell right as opposed to them being annoyed at not seeing us for so long.

Jiskefet, I've never heard of Feliway Diffusers before but they sound interesting/good so will look into that.

smiler84, I totally agree that a cattery is more stressful so wouldn't put them in one. Taking them to the vet is stressful enough for them.

Based on your reactions I wonder whether it is better to try and get someone to house sit. What are your thoughts on a house sitter versus someone popping in daily? I've always felt (our cats at least) would prefer to be on their own than in the company of (a) stranger(s) but I guess they'd soon get used to someone who was there every day.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
ah that makes more sense! :)

personally, i would say that having someone stay in the house is the ideal solution, as they get company as well as their basic needs taking care of. BUT, I know I'm certainly not in a position where I can do this, so it rather depends on whether you have someone available who can do this for you (or if you can afford to pay for it!).

but as long as someone is going in on a daily basis then i think that's reasonable - they're in their familiar surroundings, they're together, they're getting fed etc. before mine was left at home for a week he'd previously never been left for more than 2 nights, but he didn't seem bothered by it.

one thing i would do though is make sure that whoever is popping in to see them is familiar with his medical history and knows what to look out for - that way if a uti does strike then at least they'll know to get them to the vets asap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one thing i would do though is make sure that whoever is popping in to see them is familiar with his medical history and knows what to look out for - that way if a uti does strike then at least they'll know to get them to the vets asap.
Absolutely. I'm leaving a credit card and giving her the PIN just in case. She's an animal lover so understands. :) Thankfully, our vet is only five minutes away but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I know what you mean, asking someone to come in and check on them is a big ask; asking them to stay is a huge favour!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.