UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 week old Lab. He won't make any noise when he needs to go to the bathroom - it is fine during the day I keep a close eye on him and he usually waits at the door. But at night in the crate he makes no noise and the next thing I know he is pooing in it. He doesn't poo all day until around 3:30 then he goes about every 2 hours. I take him out a few times a night but he still goes in it if I don't hear him stand up. I have put cardboard in the crate to make it smaller, he doesn't eat anything after 5. I have been feeding him 4 oz of dry food 3 times a day. Is this too much? I just want him to whine or something so I know he is awake. Any ideas?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I have a 9 week old Lab. He won't make any noise when he needs to go to the bathroom - it is fine during the day I keep a close eye on him and he usually waits at the door. But at night in the crate he makes no noise and the next thing I know he is pooing in it. He doesn't poo all day until around 3:30 then he goes about every 2 hours. I take him out a few times a night but he still goes in it if I don't hear him stand up. I have put cardboard in the crate to make it smaller, he doesn't eat anything after 5. I have been feeding him 4 oz of dry food 3 times a day. Is this too much? I just want him to whine or something so I know he is awake. Any ideas?
At 9 weeks he is too young really to think for himself. You need to take him out every 30/45 minutes at first, and especially after drinking, eating, play and sleeping. When he starts to go, use a cue word, used every time he will begin to associate toileting with the word and once he has learned the command you can use it as a toilet cue getting him to toilet on command in a lot of cases. Look out for circling sniffing and scratching at the floor although you dont always see this at first because they dont always recognise the need to go or realise too late. When he has completely finished lots of praise and treats to re-enforce its the right place.

If he has accidents dont tell him off it can make them nervous about going in front of you and more likely to sneak off any do it. Also clean any accidents up with a special pet stain/odour remover as any smells left can encourage them to repeat in the same places.

Crate training is just an aid to toilet training, the theory being that a dog wont soil his bed or surrounding area, if they get desparate they have no choice though and will do it in the crate.

At night personally I slept downstairs for a couple of weeks and took mine out when they woke or stirred. If he is not within sight and sound of you carry on taking him out a few times in the night if you cant see and hear him.

He is still very young, but it shouldnt be too long before he starts to go through the night. By taking him out constantly and encouraging him to go more regularly it may even solve the problem. Really he should be on about 4 meals a day, with the daily quota split into 4 equal meals. What times are you feeding him? if your not feeding until later on in the day thats also why he might be going more late afternoon and in the night more.

Cant comment of the amount of food daily because all foods are different.

Telling you he needs to go will come in time it usually does, up until then you need to physically put him out and stay with him and think for him.

ETA if you are putting newspaper or training pads in the crate at night that may also be your problem, if he was trained on paper or pads at the breeders then he will associate it as the correct thing to do and OK to go on it in his crate, It can cunfuse them. Personally Ive never used paper or pads for that reason and just constantly and consistently taken them out day and night until they can go through its usually only a matter or 2/3 weeks before they do and over that time it usually gets less and less as they go longer and longer between needing to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.