Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Going backwards

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Dannijade, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Dannijade

Dannijade PetForums Newbie

Hi there

We have a 20month old cavapoo puppy he’s been sleeping downstairs in the kitchen with no problems since he was a baby. I’ve been in and out of hospital most of this year, I’ve recently just come out from a weeks stay and all of a sudden when we put him to bed he’s constantly crying scratching barking etc. This is now the 3rd night in a row he’s been like it we made the mistake night 1 and last night just letting him up with us but I don’t want him to get used to that. He needs to learn that’s where he sleeps. Any advice/tips?
    Kind regards

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Your young dog is naturally unsettled by all the changes in his routine - especially by your absence I suspect - and this has manifested in a little separation anxiety at night. He already has had a taste of being up with you at night and isn't ready to settle back on his own. I suspect the only way to help him settle is to start again - maybe sleep downstairs with him for a couple of nights or so helping him feel relaxed in his own bed again and then as he regains his confidence, heading back upstairs.

J

Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d start again and have him close by and get him settled then gradually move him to where he needs to be.

I think kitchens are usually the coldest part of the house and being full of hard surfaces, not the best acoustically so maybe noises are also an issue? Kitchen appliances can bother sensitive ears and, of course, we’ve had fireworks to contend with recently.

If you don’t want him upstairs maybe
    try another room?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice