Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Going away and I am worried about where dog will sleep at night

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PinkEars, Jun 8, 2010.

1. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

Hi All

I am going away with my partner and dog to the peak district next week. We are staying in a cottage. We were previously being accompnaied by 2 friends and there dog so sleeping arrangements may not have been an issue as my dog would have been ok with there dog ( they were bought up together).

The problem now is we are going just the 3 of us. Lola used to sleep in my bed and suffered from high anxiety when being left. If i left her in another room at night she would have howled, screamed and barked the place down and scratched the door to pieces. Since we had a behavior therapist in, over a span of a couple of weeks we slowly taught Lola to sleep on her own in the lounge and she now makes little to no fuss.

My worry is different house that i don't own being left on her at night she is going to bark and scream and scratch at the door and do damage. We can't obviously let her into the bedroom as this will undo all the good hard work that we have done. Has anyone got any suggestions?

We have not crate trained her so don't have one available at this time and unfortunatly the crate is something that she would need to be introduced to over a period of time and not by monday!

Any help?

Thanks

Hannah

2. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

I was going to suggest a crate, and then saw you last sentence....so sorry i'm out of ideas!

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

You may have to have her in your room so as not to trash the accommadation.:( Maybe just put her bed on the floor and ignore her (except if she gets on the bed!).
    As you say its a totally different environment so hopefully it wont screw up your training at home too much?

4. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

I was thinking maybe getting some sort of travel fabric crate and having it in the bedroom with us so she atleast knows we are in the same room but can't physically get to us and get in the bed. She has got a habit of going in her bed until about 3 in the morning when you are totally out of it and sneaking in. You wake up and she is lying on her side with her head on your pillow! lol I can't risk her being able to do that....Does that sound possible do you think?

Thanks

5. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. At least she is close to you. You might have some problems when you return home, but tough love will be the winner there I reckon ;)

6. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

Thanks for your help, we are going to buy one and leave it open in the lounge over the weekend see how she gets on with it! As we have cats coming to live with us in a few weeks it will be useful to have this for then too...

Thanks

Hannah

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

When we took amber on holiday with us, we use to take a waterproof sheet, and all our own bedding and pillows so if she got on the bed no harm was done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice