Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

God what a day...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lyceum, May 24, 2010.

1. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Just got back from the vets with Novak.

Popped the loo earlier this afternoon and heard Bailey yelping, got downstairs to find Novak's collar had somehow gotten stuck on Baileys front bottom fangs, he'd obviously twisted and pulled to try and get it loose, and had ended up twisting, meaning it was by then, choking Novak.

Try as I might I couldn't get Bailey to stay still to get it off his tooth, the more he struggled the more Novak chocked, the poor thing was chocking so badly he wet himself. God knows how I did it but I managed to pick Bailey up and twist him around twice to loosen the collar and finally get it off his teeth.

Bailey was perfectly fine as soon as he was free but Novak was pretty out of it. Got him the vets and thankfully no damage, air ways are fine, chest was fine, and the vet commented on him being in great condition. He's now having a sleep on the couch lol.

I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I was that scared, I though Novak was going to choke to death. Needless to say both collars are in the bin.

Okay, sorry, I don't have an actual reason to post this, just needed to get it off my chest.

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Oh bless ya! Are you ok hun? You have had quite a shock to be honest!! :eek:

Glad the dogs are ok, just proves how quickly playing can turn tragic eh? Makes me thin about my lot as Logan 'walks' Matrix round by his collar when they are playing............. note to self........remove collars when in the garden!! :(

Thanks for the most as it could save another dogs life too! :thumbup:

Hope you are ok, maybe have a nice glass of red and thank your lucky stars that it had a happy outcome for you! (Don't dwell on what could have been!!)

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Glad everyone is ok. It sounds very distressing.
    I did something similar with one of my cats once. She panicked when wrapped in a towel and choked herself, her tongue went a very scary blue.:(

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im glad that both your dogs are ok,what a horrid experience.
    You did well to get them untangled! well done.

5. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

Glad novak is ok .
    I know how you feel my friends lab and springer did the same thing whilst i was in their house. We were all panicked and in shock for hours afterwards.

You did well untangling them on your own.It took 3 of us to untangle her dogs and that was a struggle.

From that day i have always removed all collars whilst in the house.

6. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm feeling much less stressed now, and just thankful I was able to untangle them in time and that there's no damage. He has a scratch on his neck and that's all. He's still a bit clingy, but I imagine that's the shock.

Poor Bailey looked horrified by the whole affair as soon as he was free, he sat by Novak and started licking his neck lol.

I agree with Logan though, just goes to show how quickly playing can become dangerous. I'll never put a collar on them in the house again, that's for sure.

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

OH Dear so glad things turned out ok it is very scarey isnt it, this is why i dislike collars my first springer was out in the woods doing what springers do best racing around like a loony but always came back when called, one day i called him back when he didnt arrive back to my side as he usuallt do i began to wonder, 2/3 minutes went by and i began to panic this was not like him at all so i began to run through the woods shouting him when i heard him and the rustle of leave i found him very distressed with his collar hooked aroung a low branch on the tree, like yours he had panicked and the collar had got tighter around his neck. So i know how scared you must have been, so for me no more collars, i know they should wear collars and i.d tags but they are very well behaved in the way that if i call them they come back and dont run away from me too far so i wont risk that happening again.

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

It is terrifying isn't it?

I don't even know why I put collars on them. Our dog trainer likes to use them whilst training but I walk them on a harness, not a collar and Novak has great recall (not so much Bailey, he only gets off lead in enclosed spaces).

Seems we've both had lucky escapes, thank god.

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Thankgoodness yes. I just use slip leads on my 3 makes you realise just how simple and quick these things can happen and sometimes with tragic consequences. Glad your trauma is over.

10. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Oh dear :(

I'm glad everything is alright! Might want to give those tug release collars a go?

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I've never even heard off tug release collars lol. Can you point me in the direction of them?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice