Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gobsmacked!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BenMac, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Well....after the disaster that was my weekend, I contacted Brown St Kennels in Dundee this morning to discuss everything that happened with Tia.

And you know what...I may as well not have bothered. As far as they are concerned, they take the word of the people who hand these dogs in...if they say they are kid, cat and dog friendly...then that's what they put on their ads :blink:

I asked if they were tested to check that out and the lady said "well, we don't have any cats here...or kids, Tia seemed to be ok with the dogs that were here...." :blink:

FFS! Is it just me??? Or is that not one of the scariest things you've ever heard? The fact that they will just hand over a dog the size and breeding of Tia to the first person who handed them the cash for her, knowing that there was a small dog, a cat and a child in the equation....WITHOUT knowing anything about the dog?

I told her that I had managed to track down her original owner in a matter of minutes...albeit via a vet practice. Could one phone call from them not have done the same? Saving a great deal of heartache and averting a possible tragedy. She then asked me why I didn't hang on to Tia and return her to them today. Tell me...where was I supposed to stash her over the weekend? Was I supposed to put Poppy and Kyla into a cage for their own safety and just let Tia have the run of the house?? :blink: Knowing that Poppy is already traumatised and my daughter is scared of Tia??

No apology...no real concern that they handed over a ticking timb bomb into a family home without questioning this "owners" word. When I asked if this incident would make them reconsider their view on that policy...I was just told that that's their procedure...they go on information provided.

I'm sickened.

2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

That really is appalling knowing they are advertising as child / cat friendly when frankly they dont have a clue. How dangerous.

Are you able to report them to your local council? (Ie the authority who provides them with the licence to operate).

Sounds like they need a kick up the back side. I mean I understand they dont have volunteer children which they can throw in the run and see if the kid can walk out after 10 mins with the dog BUT they should at least give warning to a new owner that all information is provided by the previous owner and not to be guaranteed or to be their own personal findings with the dog.

What a perfect start to a new week for you after a rough weekend! :) Hope your daughter and dogs are none the worse for the recent events.

3. rona

rona Guest

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Agree with Milliepoochie, I would report this as their actions could have devastaing consequences.

They should be carrying out their own assessments to ensure that everyone involved (including the dog) is matched properly

5. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I'm sending a letter recorded delivery and keeping a copy. Phone calls are too easy to dismiss.

And they wonder why a lot of folks have concerns about taking on a "rescue" dog?? :nono:

6. Pineapple

Pineapple PetForums Member

Unbelievable. Makes you wonder what would it take to actually get them to change their policy, maybe when a pet or child actually does get attacked they'll do something about it. If they're taking on the responsibility of re-homing these animals, they should do it safely and carefully or not at all. Or as you say, they should slap on a massive disclaimer that they've barely carried out the most basic tests to see how the animals react.

A small breed dog that doesn't get on with cats is one thing, a German Shepard type dog that's been trained to hunt small animals & may not be good with children being homed with someone who has small animals and a child - totally irresponsible.

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I agree, the outcome could have been worse for you, as if it wasn't bad enough but... Pleased that you aren't just letting it go, I dont blame you:)

8. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

It's beyond bizarre :blink:

It's like me handing in a ex racer greyhound and telling them that the dog just adores rabbits and all wee furry creatures and them rehoming it with a family of bunnies and and tiny fluffy dogs....it beggars belief.

9. sweet josie

sweet josie PetForums Newbie

umm i do understand that there pratice is way beyond wot it should be but u did also take the chance on a dog u only just met so it isnt all down to them and is a lession learnt from both sides

10. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I work for a rehoming centre, and we have no way of testing dogs out on cats, but obviously assess how they are in the kennels with people and other dogs.

Did you not bring your dog to meet tia before rehoming her? We always recommend people and other dogs meet at the kennels first, then go for a walk then if alls well we homecheck and give a weeks trial.

it is bad procedure not asking you to bring poppy in to meet Tia first. But hopefully if you do decide to rescue again then you will do that first.

Hope poppy gets better! Sending lots of healing thoughts to her

#10 Phoenix&Charlie'sMum, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Wow that is scary :(

12. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I am shocked that they just took the word of the last owner and handed the dog over to someone with small animals and a child, with out atleast making it very clear that they had not tested the dog and the word of the last owner couldn`t be gaurenteed in any way... therefore, if you take the dog, you do so at your own risk !!!

I know this is what they do with strays, but they should do it with all dogs, regardless.

With all that said tho, I would only go for rescue dogs that were fully tested and proved to be good natured... and also I would be wary of the dogs who didn`t have a known history... it is just playing with fire, especially when you have children and other pets to consider.
    If I didn`t have children mind, I doubt I would be as cautious

13. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Sounds no different to many council pounds ... :(

14. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Ok...I'm going to make one more post on this thread and then ask for the last 2 threads about Tia to be closed.

This has got to be one of crappiest events that has happened to me. I got a phone call from Tia's original owner saying that Tia couldn't stay with him and that if I wanted I could just sell her on to make my money back. B*****d!

I went and collected Tia from him and have had to return her to Brown Street Kennels, where she will be put to sleep. I had no option...I could not bring her home and had nowhere else to take her.

I can't even begin to describe how bloody upsetting that this has been and how horrible it was to take that poor dog through those doors again, knowing that it was the end of the line for her.

I am pursuing a complaint disagreeing with how these dogs are advertised and rehomed on the word of the person who surrenders them. It's a sad state of affairs.

I will be asking for the threads to be closed because I am NOT going to be drawn into a debate about the fact that an otherwise healthy 2 yr old dog is being destroyed. I am not happy about that either I can assure you but it is beyond my control.

15. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I'll just answer you before this is closed....

I took Poppy to meet her at the kennels...there is no home check, no trial period or anything like that. It's a case of showing up with id and the funds to buy. They do not reserve dogs or anything like that...first come basis only.

16. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Oh...I can assure you, a lesson has most definitely been learnt.

17. rona

rona Guest

I feel for you, what a horrid position to be put in :(

18. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry you've been put in this position. I hope you know it isn't your fault and it's just lucky that it wasn't a worse outcome for you and your other pets.

Poor, poor Tia - she's been let down by her previous owners and by the kennels.

19. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Ben

You tried. You tried twice, in fact, by returning the dog to its original owner. You have, unfortunately, become involved in a classic senario of poor ownership whereby the original owner has lacked the responsibility to raise a safe dog and lacked the compassion and commitment to stand by it.

You are now bearing the emotional flak. You don't deserve it but there's nothing that will now spare you from the distress.

I hope that all those who have read your tale will better understand why reputable dog rescues are so careful in their screening methods and why poor rehoming procedures actually increase the numbers of failed homing and thereby reduce the numbers of homes available as the perception of 'rescue dog=problem dog' becomes more widespread. If people gain a greater insight into the difficulties faced by proper rescues (those that do assess, do homecheck, do follow-up, etc.) who are also often fed a crock of bull from owners eager to surrender their charges then some good may come from your horribly sad experience.

I have had to take one of my foster dogs on that last journey after it attacked a child. Still feeling for you.

20. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Such a sad situation.

BenMac, you did everything you could to try and give Tia a good home. It's a terrible shame that all the facts were not known and both you and Tia have been put through this.

I hope Poppy is not too traumatised and that your little one is not affected by it, I hope the kennels take note of what has happened and change their policy, and I hope that one day you might find the perfect dog to rescue if you still wish too.

Big hugs to you and your family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice