Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GN jockey in coma

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JJAK, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Conditional jockey Peter Toole remains in a critical condition in hospital today (Sunday 10 April) after suffering a serious head injury in a fall at Aintree.

The 22-year-old conditional jockey is currently in a medically-induced coma after suffering bleeding on the right side of his brain. He also dislocated a shoulder and is on a ventilator.

Peter, who is connected to trainer Charlie Mann's yard, fell from the Arthur Whiting-trained Classic Fly at the first fence in a novices' chase at the Liverpool track yesterday (Saturday 9 April).

He was taken from the racecourse to Fazakerley Hospital, but was transferred to the Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery

"He's in an induced coma and hopefully they'll bring him round tomorrow (Monday 11 April)," said Charlie Mann.

"They've put him in the coma to give his brain a rest. He'll be kept in it until tomorrow at the earliest and then the doctors can take a look. He's in good hands."

A Facebook group has been set up and has nearly 350 members, all wishing the jockey well.

And on Twitter the racing community is also praying for Peter.

Champion jockey AP McCoy tweeted: "Peter Toole's head injury remains very serious — the next 48 hours are crucial. Please say a prayer for him."

Fellow jockey David Crosse earlier reported that Peter is stable but will remain sedated for another 24 hours. "Fingers crossed everything goes the right way, keep the prayers coming for him," he wrote.

While Aidan Coleman tweeted: "Hope Peter gets better. He's a great person and even better friend."

Peter has ridden 30 winners this season, including the Greatwood Gold Cup at Newbury aboard Fine Parchment.

(taken from H&H website)

#1 JJAK, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

Its a shame the dead horses dont recieve such gracious comments and an article in H&H. They did afterall run the race and died for the sake of people winning money.

3. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Whooopsie, I lied!
    it wasnt in the GN it was the race before it :-S
    surely that in itself would of been enough to call the later races off?

4. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

Totally agree! Poor horses. The race should be scrapped! In my opinion it's cruel! :(

5. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I hope he is okay. I do not know enough about horse racing, but was sad about the horses that died and the injured jockey.

6. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

I agree however, we don't get to hear about the other horses that were PTS at a different racecourse on the same day though. Not to mention many others that have had to be PTS at race meetings. Race Horse Death Watch this website has really opened my eyes as to what we don't hear about.

Wish Peter a full recovery.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice