Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Glyco-Flex

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nonnie, May 5, 2010.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Anyone use this?

If so, experience/opinions pls :)

2. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

only seems to find good reviews, would also like know, I have never heard of it, I am using synoquin.. It's bleemin expensive.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I used to use Synoquin years and years ago. Oscar went onto Glyco-Flex I when he first had his leg amputated, but then i was given 2 free boxes of Seraquin and he's been on that ever since.

However i've taken him off that now, as that makers refuse to tell me if they source their chondroitin from sharks or not, and having done some reading around, it seems that Glyco-Flex may be more suitable anyway.

I'd put him on the Glyco-Flex III if i went for it, but im trying to get some feedback first.

4. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

I was also looking at the III version, they also do this Glyco Vetri-Flex Plus Double Strength but the III seems richer in ingredients..

Have you ever heard of synflex Don't mind the web site, I know! Messy!!! But it did come highly recommended to me. I use that as well as the synoquin, Ray was very clicky this winter and he is better now, but I have done a course of cartrophen since so that might have something to do with it...

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Well, ive gone ahead an ordered some anyway.

All the online reviews i can find are good, and although my vet doesnt stock them as norm (they give seraquin to everyone) they do recommend them.

6. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

let us know how they are please when you have tried them :)

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I shall try, although its very hard with Oscar to know if anything makes a difference with him.

I just figure something is better than nothing.

8. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Well, I will also be checking how you find it :)

9. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

I have been using Glyco-Flex III with my dog for over three years and have been quite happy with it. My vet had recommended that I put my dog on a daily supplement that contained 1000mgs of Glucosamine and 1000mgs of MSM. Glyco-Flex III was the only one that I could find that supplied both in a single dose.

The company is well-respected in the US (where I live) for its quality control.

I would recommend splitting the dose initially-give half in the AM and half in the PM, to prevent loose stools at the start. After a few weeks, you can go to giving the entire dose at once.

I've also found that I can get lower prices when buying several bottles at once. If it seems to be working well for your dog, you may want to explore whether you can find better pricing this way.

10. rona

rona Guest

I couldn't find what was in it. Have any of you got a link to the contents of each different one?

11. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

12. rona

rona Guest

13. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

It contains Perna Canaliculus which is Green Lip Mussel whose active ingredient is glycosaminoglycan which is a different name for chondroitin sulfate, do correct me if I am wrong I am hopeless at all things chemical :lol:

1 person likes this.
  14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I couldnt find a decent product that contained chondroitin that wasn't sourced from sharks. So went for one that didnt contain it at all.

They arrived today and are HUGE. Palatable though, as he happily ate it.

15. JessiesGirl

Hi Rona- I see someone's already posted links of the ingredients for you. :)

And Nonnie is right-it doesn't really have straight chondroitin in it. It does have a a lot of glucosaminoglycans form the Perna Mussels and a lot of MSM.

We put my dog on it because of luxating patella to delay arthritis, and we've stayed at the full beginning dose, rather than ramping down to the maintenance dose. She's done very well! She's now 8.5 and still runs, jumps, climbs stairs, etc. and has not needed to go on a full-time prescription NSAID.

#15 JessiesGirl, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  16. JessiesGirl

For anyone looking for the inactive ingredients in the tablets, in case your dogs have an sensitivities, here they are (from the back of the bottle):

Brewers Yeast
    Cellulose
    Dicalcium phosphate
    Natural imitation roast chicken flavor
    Silicon Dioxide
    Stearic Acid

17. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

How would you rate it against synoquin? Or Synflex? This is what I am on at present. :)

18. JessiesGirl

Synflex certainly provides more glucosamine than the Synoquin does, so that's probably helpful.

I just went by what my vet advised for my dog, which was 1000mgs glucosamine and 1000mgs MSM per day for a 42 pound dog. Since we knew she had a condition that caused her stifle joint (knee) to move abnormally, this was the dose that he recommended to try to maintain as much cartilage and lubrication in the joint as possible and thereby delay arthritis. He did not point me towards a specific supplement or try to sell me one, but Glyco-Flex III was the only one I could find that met the dosing requirements in one tablet. When I asked the vet if that supplement was acceptable, he said yes, so we just began using it. (My mom had also had good results with other products in this brand.)

He was pretty adamant about the MSM needing to be equal to the glucosamine, advising that the two ingredients worked better together than either did alone.

Even though I had not thought my dog was in regular discomfort prior to beginning the supplement, she began to stretch differently -trailing her hind feet off the couch- again (which I had not noticed she'd stopped) after being on the Glyco-Flex III for a few weeks.

But with the two you're considering (Synoquin and Synflex), it appears that neither have any MSM. If you are happy with the Synflex, perhaps you might consider adding an MSM supplement to it? The Synflex otherwise appears to be very similar to the GF III and there are studies indicating that liquid glucosamine is easily absorbed.

dodigna likes this.
  19. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Thank you! Will get some MSM, I have different things and not really sure what works best, it is all a bit confusing as we are also doing cartrophen. :) I am inclined to keep the synflex and maybe attempt to come off the synoquin instead, synflex came really highly regarded.

20. JessiesGirl

The glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin, etc. supplements can be safely used with the prescription NSAIDS (Rimadyl, Etogesic, Deramaxx, Metacam, etc.) Carprofen is generic Rimadyl.

Jessie has a script for as-needed Deramaxx for times that we anticipate high activity. So I give it to her before we go for a long run or other high-activity day, like heading out to my mom's acreage for play and running. (She's not on an NSAID daily at this point, although I suspect she will eventually need one daily. So far we use the NSAID a few times a year-less than a dozen.)

The NSAIDs and the supplements perform different functions in the dog. The NSAIDS are specific COX inhibitors, acting as anti-inflammatories-controlling inflammation controls pain. The supplements are used to preserve the cartilage that still remains in the joints, to provide joint lubrication, and to give a very mild anti-inflammatory effect. This is why the supplements are more effective started early on for joint help--they can't preserve and protect what's already missing, but rather can only preserve and protect what still remains. Most dogs with joint issues will eventually be taking both a supplement and an NSAID.

Yes, you can use the supplements alongside the NSAIDS. Just tell your vet what supplements you are using as they can affect other treatments at times.

#20 JessiesGirl, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice