UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of years i have been disappointed by the attitude of many rescues.
Just yesterday i called about an 8 week old rescue pup, i could offer a house with encosed garden, semi-rural area, great walks, and a loving family home with a 3 year old child and a friendly bullmastiff.

But time and time again im informed that a pup of this age couldnt possibly live with another dog and child??! why the hell not?
Yes some pups are terribly afraid and nervous, but surely the best remedy is to get into a home asap with lots of love?
just because its scared of kids and dogs surely its better to confront that fear as early as possible? or will it now be forced to avoid all children and dogs until it develops into a fear-biter?
I was really quite angry!

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
because rescue centres are un realistic and will make any excuse to try and control witch dog you will adopt. In the wild pups mix with adult dogs so it must be they have a thing against kids.

·
Registered
23,238 Posts
The big rescues are totally naff. You sometimes feel they would rather just PTS every dog that comes in..:( I got refused for working too long hours. NM my dogs are only alone between midnight and 8am 2 nights a week, it was still a deal breaker.

Reactions: DKDREAM

·
Registered
835 Posts
Someone I spoke to in the vets once had a horrible time with rescue. Now I can understand that they want the dog to go to a good, sensible, stable, forever home, but there's being careful and being rdiculous.

They wanted pictures of his entire house, garden and car, including measurements (fair enough need to know how much room the dog has, I'd like to point out it was a small collieX).

They wanted proof of his finances, to make sure he could afford the dog. He drives a Jaguar, but you know, whatever, I'm sure his bank statement was good enough.

They wanted a letter from the vet to say what a good owner he was.

They wanted 2 reference letters from neighbours to say why (with proof) he would be a good rescue dog owner.

They wanted a full letter from himself as to why he wanted to adopt, plus a suggested day to day schedule of what the dogs life would be like when he got him home.

This is on top of the normal interview/home check/rescue fee.

The guy himself said that the dog was lucky that he and his wife and fallen so far in love with him, otherwise he just wouldn't have bothered because the rescue was so obnoxious. He said it went beyond finding a good home for the dog, it just boaderd (sp?) on harrasment and made them feel like they were bad dog owners for needing all that checking.

I would also like to say, that I don't know if -all- of the above is true. That was just what he told me. But even if the attitude of the rescue was true, I don't think that's the way to go about finding dogs homes.
xx

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Yeah and they wonder why people dont go to rescues!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Rescues get innundated with offers for puppies so quite often can be very selective about the homes they go to. That is not to say the homes that end up missing out are NOT good homes in anyway - when we had a particular young dog in I got 20 phone calls in one day with enquiries and sometimes you can't chat through with everyone for half an hour to find out the details and 19+ people had to be disappointed even tho they would still be a good home for a dog.

I can't see why they could not live with another dog I am sure many rescues would agree that its the best thing in the world for a dog to grow up with another steady and kind dog to show them the way - unless there was for any reason something about this puppy in particular.

Are you at home alot of the time - although would have thought they would have said if that is the reason.....

Sometimes it can be childrens ages, I know not everyone is the same but its suprising time and time again how often rescues home to homes with younger children and the dog ends up coming back for some reason or another hence hte guidelines many rescues have in place. I know people are responsible on here but alot people swear one thing know exactly what to say and then do the exact opposite i.e. then leave the kids and the dogs alone etc etc

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
rescues may as well say if you have kids dont bother..... too many wont rehome with kids
Can you blame them?

If for whatever reason the dog turned around a bit the child, you can guarantee the blame will be placed on the recue centre for homing the dog with children.

The backgrounds of the dogs are largely unknown, and its better to be safe, than sorry.

There are hundreds of rescues out there, each and everyone with different guidelines. Its all a matter of finding the one flexible and understanding enough to assess an individuals situation and help find them a suitable match.

Too many people dont have the patience, and give up after being turned down by just one or two places.

·
Registered
23,238 Posts
Too many people dont have the patience, and give up after being turned down by just one or two places.
I think alot of people just assume that most rescues operate in the same way.:( Plus often when you are refused the reasons given put you off trying again.
I cant see why puppies cant be homed with other dogs and kids, unless it is a tiny breed who could be injured. Could always try Many Tears though, they seem to have tons of puppies sadly enuf..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Perhaps all the people who are so quick to bash rescues should try volunteering and find out a little more about how things work and why rescues sometimes say no...

The big rescues are totally naff. You sometimes feel they would rather just PTS every dog that comes in.. I got refused for working too long hours. NM my dogs are only alone between midnight and 8am 2 nights a week, it was still a deal breaker.
Course they don't want to put every rescue to sleep. In your situation we are likely not to rehome a dog to you because

Dog is from unknown background with our pound dogs and we don't know what the are like to be left for so long time and 8 hours is a long time withouth a loo break - OK so its over night and they would be that long anyway if you were there sleeping - but you are not and of dogs crying, howling (annoying neighbours who complain) messing and chewing so dog gets sent back etc.

I do try to point people in the direction of other rescues who may be able to help them so they don't feel personally rejected as a good owner more matched to a more suitable dog etc.

As for rescues controlling which dog you can adopt, well they know the dogs best and if someone wants a dog who is a bad match for them should they just let it go ahead?

As for kids again rescues learn from bad experiences and in this day of litigation they I guess are trying to just be careful. After all if a rescue rehomed a dog to a family and then something bad happened everyone would blame the rescue for rehoming the dog in the first place etc.

I know there are good and bad out there, some 'rescues' who will home to anyone without homechecking, neutering any kind of temprament testing and others who are very strict but there are alot of rescues out there in the middle ground who do their best.

As for Stephy(sp) list - if the rescue was that good and thorough surely they would not be asking for pics but conducting a homecheck to see the property for themselves.....

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'd be willing to wager it's not.
Maybe, but I don't see why an old retired guy needed to make that up. :confused:

I can see Nonnies points about kids and not risking it, but the pup the OP was talking about was 8 weeks old- that's surely not old enough to have an 'unkwon history' that could make him risky to be housed with children?

I don't know, I'm hopefully going to try and volunteer at some rescues over the summer, so I'll get to see it from their side, which might make me alter my opinions a bit.

·
Registered
835 Posts
As for Stephy(sp) list - if the rescue was that good and thorough surely they would not be asking for pics but conducting a homecheck to see the property for themselves.....
I said they did conduct a housecheck, (this is apparently, I'm giving the old man the benfit of the doubt here!) on top of all that, the pictures were just in the application process, then once that was processed I'm assuming they thought that was ok then came and did a homecheck.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
because rescue centres are un realistic and will make any excuse to try and control witch dog you will adopt. In the wild pups mix with adult dogs so it must be they have a thing against kids.
Almost two million of the UK's dogs came from rescue centres so they can't be that unrealistic, can they?

The rescue I assist rehomes to young families but only if they have very young pups or adult dogs with a proven successful history of living with children. Currently they are mostly taking in death-row strays with no history and so have very few dogs that they could home with children. That doesn't mean they have a 'thing' against kids. The policy is there to prevent the rescue inadvertently endangering those kids or placing their dogs into untenable situations.

Yeah and they wonder why people dont go to rescues!!!
Threads like this?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.