Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giving up on raw

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jonesey, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

I've gotten so tired of Biscuit refusing to eat her raw that today I broke down and bought a bag of dog food. :( She'd once again gone almost two days without eating, threw up twice today (empty stomach sick) and I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'm trying not to feel too bad, I did buy a very high quality grain, by-product and preservative free dry. And she gobbled it up as if it was ice cream.

2. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I personally wouldnt get too hung up about it, if you are feeding a high quality dry food that your dog is happy with, then you are doing like millions of other people, who have healthy happy dogs!

If your dog is happier then that can only be a positive, you can still add fish and extras to the dry stuff sometimes, mine get a tin of sardines or similar at least once a week also.

3. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I think I'm going to give up with the adult dog.:( I'm really unhappy to do so because I honestly believe his brother's cancer was linked to the crap I fed him:cryin:. However, he needs to eat and is currently refusing everything, even his favourite tripe.:( He's also refusing Orijen so I need to find something he'll eat.

The pups eat anything,so they're staying on raw. I've tried since October with the big dog, I figure that's enough.

4. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I wouldn't feed bad either. Some dogs just don't like raw. I tried everything I could to get my cats to eat it and they refused. So they get high qualty dry and wet.

As long as you're feeding good quality food, don't feel bad.

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Just try again at the end of the bag. Its hard but she will swap over. By border collie went on a hunger strike for 5 days, he was beginning to look tired but on the 6th day he ate everything and didn't look back.

I tried everything I could think of to get him to eat but he was having none of it. He's the first dog I've had that wouldn't eat raw, but god, he new how to push our buttons.

He still won't eat any form of raw chicken though but he will turkey :rolleyes: his favourite food is lamb or cow tripe. I first got him to eat bones by scooping out a bit of marrow (about a golf ball size) chopping it up really finely and mixing it with primular and stuffing it back in the bone, once he started licking he, he found the courage to chomp a bit, then before you know it, he's following you to the freezer for food.

6. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Thank you for the responses. :) The dry I bought is all fish and fresh fish at that. I've basically driven myself nuts with this pup, she got on raw to begin with because of her inability to digest regular dog food. And although it seems her digestive system has matured we are going to watch her poos and see how she does.

Honestly I've spent a lot of time researching and making up her food. Bought the mince ground with bone, ground simple veggies and fruits, added herring oil and kelp, mixed in raw with botanicals etc. etc.. I really feel I gave it my best shot. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

7. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

That's pretty much what I plan on doing. I'll give this dry a few days and then put her raw out and see if she takes to it (still have plenty in the freezer). Perhaps she might take to it if it's not offered all the time? And if she doesn't then I've got the dry to fall back on. I am stupidly worried that she'll start refusing this food in a bit too though - and that she really is working at driving me completely insane. lol? GAH!!!

And we've been going along the same path for a long time now. She'd eat once a day, skip a day or almost two days, eat three or four times in one day etc.. Almost like she'd wolf it down once she was completely starving and then starve herself again - because she really just doesn't like her food. And I'm just too frustrated to fight it anymore.

I'm such a mother hey? Worrying about my four legged kid. :) I swear I don't worry as much about what my human children are eating. With them I just say - don't eat your veggies? Then no dessert! (and it works)

8. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I also think that with humans we have more understanding of food, in that we can allow a little junk food every now and again as long as the primary food is reasonable, a little of what you fancy does you good etc. I try to work this policy with my dogs, it doesnt matter if not 100% of everything they eat is the best/healthiest it can be as long as their is a balance.

9. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

Have you tried more of a prey model raw than a barf?? I don't feed minces and what not I know it's more convenient to do in some cases but you don't get the teeth cleaning benefits!

Anyway have you tried just handing her a pork rib, or chicken thigh (whatever you plan to start on?)

A healthy dog will not starve itself :) if you want to try again after the food youre using maybe try again?

10. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

its the same as it is for us humans - no one thing suits every dog. Raw for me was the best thing I ever did and two of my cats are about to be swopped over complete cos they love it but my female cat point blankly refuses to eat it so she will stay on good quality commercial.

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I took me 6 years to persuade William my show greyhound to eat raw meat. He wouldn't even think about touching it. His breeder told me that even as a young puppy she would give them bones and he would never touch the bones. He would rather sit with his teddy

12. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Can I ask what dry food you went with?

It's just that you mentioned it was fish, and fresh fish, fresh fish isn't what you want in a dry food, as the manufacturer will state the % before dehydration, which means once dehydrated it'll end up being about 3% actual meat content.

I know there's dry foods like fish4dogs who have meal and fresh fish, which is great. But if it's just fresh it's not so good.

Sorry if you knew that, just thought i'd mention it in case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice