Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giving tablets to dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Shoeser, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Shoeser

Shoeser PetForums Newbie

Can anyone help me pls! I am dogsitting for my brother's dog who happens to have 2 days left of antibiotice to take. He showed how he managed to do it but I am struggling ...... is there a fool proof way to do this!!

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

push it into the middle of a small piece of cheese or wrap it in a piece of ham.

My lot normally take tablets out of my hand if I tell the its sweeties with the exception of greedy mut Zoe the setter that eats anything she wont take tablets and I usually get my fingers bitten just worming her:mad:

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I just put it in a bit of cheese and normally they're begging for them or wrap them in some tasty piece of food.

4. charlie9009

charlie9009 PetForums Senior

We had a dog that cottoned on to the pills being in cheese, so to fool her I used to use 3 bits. Give her one without the tablet, which she would mess about with checking, then eat. then give her the second, which she would eat straight down, and then the one wth the pill, which would also go straight down! lol

5. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

wow, i like this one, wish i had thought of that idea when i needed to give my dog tablets, he was fine at first, but then soon realised the tabs were hidden in something so just messed about with it, and left tablets. got them in him in the end but lots of messing about. Certainly remember this if i have to do it again with my new dog.
    Nicci

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

When we had little Jude and she was ill last year she had coccidiousis and was having anitbiotics and steriod tablets. That many I'm surprised she didn't rattle. I used to tell her it was tablet time hold them out on my hand and she's eat them all good as gold:D

7. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

definately cheese or ham or even hotdog sausage, they have a soft middle to push the tablet into. It it is a capsule you can open it and sprinkle the powder onto his food!

My dog will not take tablets in any form of food (he is the only dog i have ever owned who won't!!) so i have to put them in the back of his throat and hold his mouth shut, i then syringe a couple of drops of water into the fron of his mouth to make him swallow and this usually works!!;) :wink5:

8. Shoeser

Shoeser PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much....Bingo! Worked a treat. What a relief:eek:

9. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Koda is soooo greedy we don't even have to hide tablets!! Just put his worming tablets in the bowl with a bit of food, and it was gone!!

10. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

just put it in with their kibble, swirl it around so the scent is on the pill. easy :)

11. clueless

clueless Banned

I have not read all the posts so sorry if this has been suggested. I tend to use Meatpaste for any dog being difficult with tablets

12. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

we put the tablets in between some bread and butter and give it , no probs at all

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Sometimes things are in capsules because they don't want to get released into the dog's system until they are lower down in the digestive tract. Before opening capsules, you should check with the prescribing vet that it's OK to do so. You could be making the drugs ineffective or even irritating to the dog's mouth and gullet.

14. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Well as an ex-veterinary nurse i have never heard of that before but i will check in future though. I have always been told with my own animals and the in patience with all of our vets that this method is fine??

15. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

my neapolitan is a sod to give anything to as he would defo bite,had a bad past before i got him,bit me 5 times in the first 7 mths,over the years ive worked with him and he allows me to do ears,eyes and nails,have to be sneaky with the nails but no way can you give him tablets,i give him table scraps from a spoon and every now and then a blob of flora,he now knows spoon equals something nice so i hide the tablets in a blob of flora and he takes em,hes prone to cysts between his toes so this is sooooo handy that he will take meds this way,the others i just pop em down the throat a gentle neck massage and a nice reward:D
    do i get any of this when i take my meds,nope,oh to be a pampered pooch :D

16. scottishbelle

scottishbelle PetForums Newbie

Hi I have always hidden tablets in a small amount of butter! Just a tiny knob on the end of a knife, push the tablets in and then offer to the dog. can't get the butter without the tablet. In extreme cases, I have used the thinist of slices of Mars bar. Tablet in the middle and they have grabbed and swallowed before they knew anything was there. And my dogs don't get human chocolate at any other time!

17. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i use cheese................... never had a problem . dogs luv it

18. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

you can actually buy pill poppers for cats and dogs like scissor shape holder that u put in their mouth if they are really bad, they use them at the vets but much easier with the food, its norm my cat thats the pain!!

19. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Amber has worked that one out, she eats all her kibble and how ever I try to camouflage it she always leaves it in the bowl.

We use the cheese method a small bit of cheese then another larger piece with the tablet followed quickly with another piece of cheese works every time. In fact as soon as I move a tablet bottle she there waiting for her cheese.

20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never used food, I open the mouth, put them on the back of the tongue and rub the throat till they swallow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice