Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

giving cat tablets

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Alym, May 12, 2010.

1. Alym

Alym PetForums Newbie

Hi just wondering if anyone has any good tips on giving my cat his tablets.

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Cover them in butter, pop them down the back of the throat, quick squirt of water from a syringe.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

4. Tje

Tje Banned

You can crush them and add them to his food…

but… he may not eat “contaminated” food meaning you ruin a pill (meaning you might need to go back to the vet for more). Plus he must eat the whole portion of food. If you are going to do this, disguise the pill in one of his favourite “treat” type foods, something like tuna or strong smelling fish.

Or try hiding it in a piece of chicken.

Do you know that malt-paste you can buy for cats? Well if you get some of that, get the cat to lick it from your finger… (they love the taste so that bit should be easy)… then after one or two blobs of paste with no pill, discretely slip the pill into the next bit of malt-paste and hopefully it should be gone and they’re none the wiser they’ve just had a pill.

You can buy pill shooters to “shoot” the pill into the back of their mouths then hold the jaws shut until they swallow.

5. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I find this pretty easy, but then I was designated cat pill giver to our old family evil cat, and wasn't scared of being bitten or scratched :p

If you have a pretty chilled out cat who won't go crazy on you then its actually easier to do this than you think

6. Alym

Alym PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys i manage to give him his pill with no bites or scratches :) i used the butter trick as thats all i had in the house .

7. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

We're looking for a suit of armour to help with the adult Bengals :eek:

8. Alym

Alym PetForums Newbie

good luck with that elmstar rather u than me lol

9. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Actually the vet let's us have injections to take home where at all possible nowadays :) but when there isn't an alternative it can be very difficult.

10. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Ha ha- my cat is so contrary. fought with her for a bit, trying to put it down her throat. SHe wasn't having any of that - kept spitting it out. I broke it in half, covered it in butter and stuck it to one of her treats. The pill fell off, she ate the treat then ate the pill off the floor! Maybe I should just have given her the pill to crunch on her own :)
    By the way, she seems to be getting much better now. Not quite right yet but certainly on the mend. Thanks for all your good wishes on my other thread :)

11. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Excellent to know your cat is getting better! :D Locke has improved in leaps and bounds in the last two days. His appetite is back to normal now which is a huge relief! He's got a few more days on the pills but he's usually very good at taking them.

12. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

My Dizzy is on tablets now, and i found covering the tablet with her hairball paste worked best for me and she ate it thank goodness.:D

13. Tje

Tje Banned

can I offer an unasked for bit of advice... (hope you don't mind)

if your cat takes pills this way, I find it a great idea (even when they're not on pills) to get a cat-treat sweet every now and again and cover it in the hairball paste and get them to eat their treat that way. That way, when you do have to give your cat pills (covered in malt pasta)... they are practically begging for them 'cause they associate everything that is covered in malt pasta with treats.

14. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

:thumbup:..:thumbup:...:D.....very good idea.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice