Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giving Blood?????

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by snoopydo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Have any of you done it? I've got the chance to give blood on Wednesday morning. I've never done it before so your views would be good.:)

I Want to do it as You know you could be helping people even saving them and you never know whats around the corner we could need it too at some point.

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i used to do it :D stopped now though as they have trouble finding my vein..but if you can.. go for it :D

3. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

I give blood every few months. Sometimes you can feel a scratch when they put the canular in but I couldn't say it hurts. I tend to book a time rather than just turn up so there is hardly any waiting. It's well worth the doing as it saves lives.
    Good luck, you'll be fine :)

4. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

i haven't as always struggle finding a vein. My brother does and my grandad did as well - he had a rare blood group so they often came to fetch him in the middle of the night. Got a certificate somewhere because of how much blood he gave

5. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

My OH does regularly.

I can't due to the Medication I am on :(

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I gave blood quite a few times quite a few years ago now. I dont think they would have much luck getting any at the moment they have trouble getting enough for my Thyroid and other blood tests.

I never had any problems though, and it didnt bother me at all. All depends really how squeamish you are in the first place I suppose and how brave you are feeling.

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I give blood twice a year, you can do it three times a year, but I am not always around for all of them.

I have done it since 1989, I carry my "I do something amazing I give blood" card everywhere.

8. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Yep, about 13 times.....last time I went they couldn't find a vein though so my donation days might be over.

9. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Ive never done it.. I wouldn't have a problem doing it.. But im not sure they would find a vein.. Well I guess they would in the end.. But my arms would be black and blue. Now reading that back, it is a pathetic excuse as to not help save lives.. :(
    So then I also wander.. If the tablets I have been on would prevent me..
    But I have never checked so dont know.. and then again.. I think Hayley you selfish cow.:(

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I've been a regular donor for years. We have a mobile unit tht comes to our work 3 times a year which makes it really convenient ..... & it's nice to have a lay down in works time :D

There is nothing to it, I have never had any problems at all.

11. momentofmadness

I think thats a fab idea.. I think they should hold a give blood clinic on our car park at work..

Being in the middle of town loads would go..:)

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It is a really good idea. I think alot of places do it now. We have the van there for 2 days & all the appointments are usually taken which is great ..... people in our place will do anything for a biscuit :D

13. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

they come to our workplace also..nothing like the thought of a lie down..then a cuppa and a biscuit afterwards to temp you :lol: my veins just keep collapsing :eek: so i had to stop x

is there a most needed blood than others when donating?..AB. A + or - that type of thing

14. momentofmadness

Well You would think a huge company like Asda would be backing this idea..

15. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

depends if they want their workers off the job for an hour or so ..free...x

16. momentofmadness

hahah they pop us into rooms to watch videos and answer questionnaires.. lol and that is training.. :rolleyes:

Im sure they could allow people to do it and encourage others to call in on their days off.. :)

17. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

yeah..i know what you mean..but..the big bosses wouldn't get their bonus on how many gave blood ...on how may attended a shite training course..now thats different xx :lol: :lol:

18. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

i tried many years ago,but there were many reasons at the time as to why i couldn`t,one which is still an issue,is i regularly get tattoos and piercings.

19. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Yes, ASDA is a SHOCKING employer! :rolleyes:

These days we all have so many demands on our time that it can be impossible to fit everything in with our normal working lives. This is why ASDA leads the way in offering all our colleagues flexible working patterns with our Flex scheme. It offers the opportunity to do everything from swapping a shift, if for example you need the afternoon to watch your child’s sports day, to taking an unpaid career break of up to three years after you’ve been with us for at least three years. We’d even give you time off if you wanted to be a blood donor! There are six flexible working schemes in all which cover virtually every aspect of achieving a great work/life balance for our colleagues.

20. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Thanks for all your comments it's being held at our local rugby Club where we go.... I am Squeamish vbut think I could cope...Are you ok to Work/Drive afterwards sorry if thats a Daft question. :confused:

Yes I'm going to go. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice