Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giving away her food

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I'm putting this on here and in the Behaviour section in the hope that someone has heard of it before.

Can anyone throw some light on my problem. About a month after we brought her home from the rescue, when she was approx 17 months old, Mia started taking food to my OH every morning. She would take him anything she could find whether that was a slice of bread, packet of crisps, dry pasta, pound of butter, absolutely anything she could get her paws on. She did this every morning without fail and would put it next to his head when he was asleep and never eat the food herself even if you left it there all day. If she couldn't find anything edible she would give her some of her own breakfast.
    Mia is now almost 2 1/2 and for the last two months she has started giving food to my children too, first my middle son and now my youngest as well and not just in the mornings.
    Because we have had her on a diet the last couple of months we have been really careful about her having access to food that she shouldn't so she has been giving away her own food more and more often. She has only been having around 550g a day of raw so she must be hungry but is still giving it away. We have to put it back in her bowl and really encourage her or she will just give it back to whoever she wants to eat it. For the last couple of days she has given away all her food and is really reluctant to eat it.
    This sounds really stupid, but it is almost like a mother feeding her offspring first in times of famine.
    Has anyone experienced this before and what do I do?

2. That does sound very odd but I was just thinking mabe she was trained to do it.

I've trained my dogs to ignore chocolate so mabe someone has trained yours not to accept food she finds but then that wouldnt explain her giving food to you if you have given it to her yourself for her to eat. Very odd. Sorry i can't be more helpful.

3. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Until we took her from the rescue she was chained up in a yard and ignored and wasn't given any training in anything at all. It is a mystery.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ive not heard of it before to humans anyway. The only thing I can think of is that it is some kind of "primitive" or nursing behaviour. I know dogs regurgitate food for little pups, and of course wild dogs or feral ones would have to later hunt and catch food and take it back to the "den" to feed the pups. Cant think of any other explanation for it. Although I will be shot down in flames probably, I was watching a programme on wolves and when feeding some eat first, and even chase away the omega, and wont let it eat until the others have finished. Ive noticed with mine Nanuq who has always been quite a meek submissive dog, doesnt start eating until the others have got underway with theirs, she eats really slow and is always the last to finish, the other two are heads in the bowl and gone pretty quickly.
    I think eating "naturally" can be a very social thing in a pack. Does she have different meal times to you, just a thought but Im wondering if when the kids sit to eat or you all eat as a family have her meal ready to put down at the same time, just wondering if that will make a difference. Or if that dont work,
    then you eat your meal and feed her straight after when you have finished.
    Dogs are weird, mine still do things to surprise me after all these years.

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Blimey that is strange behaviour. Im sorry I cant be of any help on it. Rocky is a finnicky eater, wont eat if you shut the door, wont eat if the others are'nt eating, all sorts but nothing quite like that.

Only thing I can add though is Willow my goldie is fed raw, she is 32kg. Great weight for her height. 2 hours exercise per day but I only feed her 550g raw per day in order to keep her weight where it should be and I dont think she is hungry, I mean she's a goldie and will eat anthing given a chance but she's not displaying any real hunger if that makes sense so dont feel bad that she gets little too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice